Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17-W033dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have HP Omen 17-W033dx and I installed the latest BIOS from support drivers page which is F.36 released on May 5. The laptop started to have lag spike every 2 minutes in game, where I get FPS drops to 30 then go back to normal 60 then after 1 minute drop to 30. It is really frustrating as the old BIOS was fine and I didn't have problem with it. I can't return to the old BIOS, Because the new BIOS does not allow it. I would appreciate any help if someone knows how to revert back to the old BIOS or knows how to stop the frequent lag spike with this new BIOS.

Thanks

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hello AhmedG5,

According to the notes on the F36 bios update, it doesnt state that its a non reversible install, so you should be able to revert back. 

I have a 2017 Kaby Lake version of the Omen and I was successful with reverting back to the previous.

But, I will warn you that I do not recommended messing around with Bios updates if not necessary. If the process gets corrupted or fails, there is the possibility of turning your system into a brick.

Bottom line, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I only want to update a bios if something is not working and I have to do it. Otherwise I leave it alone.

With that said, have you tried updating the Nvidia drivers first? If you already have the latest version, you might try uninstalling that and going to an earlier version. 

If you still wish to revert the bios, you should be able to using the USB method.

Here is a link to the instructions. Use a blank USB stick for this.

HP Notebook PCs - Recovering the BIOS

Link to the previous bios for your system...

F26 sp78821.exe (34.8 MB)

HP Recommended

Photoray002 Thanks for your reply.

I already tried to recover the BIOS through USB and it did not work.

the BIOS install page did not show up just black screen.

I tried also to install the old BIOS from the install exe, but the Update option is greyed (not selectable). so I am stuck with this new BIOS.

I already installed the latest nVidia drivers and everything is up to date.

The problem is most games started to lag randomly and frequently which made the games unplayable and even started to hurt my eyes. 

I can't believe BIOS would effect FPS rate on games like this!

I thought updating my BIOS would improve my laptop performance, it actually made it worse.

HP Recommended

Re-make the USB recovery drive again, then use a different USB port.

If that does not work, I dont know why its failing. Sorry.

Did you update the graphics drivers after the fact or before the bios update?

Did you try reverting to an earlier graphics driver?

HP Recommended

I tried different USB flash and different port. didn't work.

I reinstalled the latest nVidia driver after the new BIOS, still did not solve the problem.

I don't want to return to old nVidia driver, because it has some glitches with some games I have like GTA5 where black lines shows on characters. the latest nVida driver solved that issue, so that is why I keep it.

HP Recommended

OK thanks for the update. If I hear of anything on the bios updates, Ill let you know.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately I think you will find that that the latest Nvidia drivers are the source of your problems.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1010105/geforce-drivers/fps-drops-and-stutter-with-external...

I have posted before about this and had some good feedback so maybe you can try the 378.49 driver which seems to be the latest driver without the Windows 10 game breaking framerate issue:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/114351/en-us

I haven't had any issues with GTA5 on that driver although I admit I do not play it regularly, however I can confirm it fixed my stuttering FPS and others:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/OMEN-by-HP-Laptop-17-gtx-1070-fps-problem/td-p/613291...

It is refreshing to see the above "expert" utilising my previous advice...

HP Recommended

Thanks user20001 for your reply.

I installed an old nvidia driver, still did not fix the issue instead i got the black lines glitch on characters.

this whole thing started immediately after the BIOS update, that is why I believe the BIOS is the main reason for this.

HP Recommended

Sorry that didn't help.  I also have the latest BIOS and I found it worked for me.  Did you try that SPECIFIC driver I mentioned - this seems to be the one that works for most?

Did you try a "clean" install of the drivers?

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

DDU is the best tool for making sure everything from the previous driver is gone.

HP Recommended

I tried the driver u mentioned, it did not install. it says not compatible. I installed older version from drivers page in hp. I uninstalled the new driver from control panel. I know this removed completely the driver because the black lines glitch shown up plus the lag when I installed the old driver. I uninstalled the old driver and returned to the new driver. the black lines glitch is gone, but the lag still exists. the nvidia driver does not seems to have any effect at all on lag. the lag still the same frequency whether it is old or new nvidia driver.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.