Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Omen 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Well, I waited too long to clean my left fan (I believe it is for the GPU, but w/e it is the left one that is the problem.) So now I probably burnt the motor, which makes for an extremely noisy and obviously broken fan noise. 

I will eventually replace the whole machine, but for now, I simply want to disable the left fan, as the right fan is working fine and should hold me over.

The problem is, I can't do that! Hell, I can't even permanently disable either fan. I have done everything I can think of, from using community-made third-party apps to disable the fans (didn't work) to selecting BIOS options to deleting HP Omen Control (which sucks) to even trying a fan-control app used primarily for desktops.

Nothing is working! The fan just turns on (kinda, it more screams at me then stutters for about 20 seconds) then it turns off. Then 5 seconds later decides to turn on again.

Help me, I just want to turn off the left fan permanently.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello

Omen 15 is not very specific. Can't look at PC specs.

If GPU fan has failed and you are in warranty then contact HP for replacement. Dust buildup in fan is not good but may not be the cause of failure.

What is graphics card in system?  Most graphics card OEM's have software to tweak fan temp curves. I don't think any graphics card OEM gives control to stop one fan.

If this is a notebook since you post in Notebook area then system would need HP service.

Grzy

HP Recommended

It's the HP Omen 15 Notebook. I don't really know what else to call it! My gpu is a geforce 960m. 

I don't OEM stands for, but I assume its some type of control panel for my graphics card? If that's what you mean I searched high and low throughout the Nvidia control panel, and I see nothing remotely close to tempurature curves. I went ahead and downloaded Corsair Link which supposedly controls temps, but it seems it has been made for desktops only, and doesn't seem to recognize my laptop.

I also downloaded an app made by an HP user that I found on this forums, called NoteBookFanControl. This allowed me to mess with my cpu fan settings, but that fan isn't the problem!

Last, I downloaded a program called Read and Write Everything (RW-Everything.) This got into some crazy stuff, about using line 90 (my fan is located at 90B w/e that means) then like... typing in 14 in a certain field then FF in another to disable fans. I followed those instructions and got no results, but I could just not be doing it right!

Please excuse my PC ignorance, it isn't my field of expertise! I just want to game some without my fan grinding! It tries to turn on, grinds for 20 seconds, then turns off for 5 seconds. Then repeats the process.

HP Recommended

Hello

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer.

RWEverything can be a very dangerous program as it changes microcode in BIOS ROM.

I think your best course is to have PC serviced. Maybe the GPU fan can be cleaned or replaced.

Clean the system fan vent  on laptop with compressed air. Maybe that is making noise.

Grzy

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.