Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi jpdoc,

@jpdoc wrote:

You might try determining the chipset your system uses, then checking their website.  Intel have spec sheets for all their chipsets online e.g.

http://www.intel.com/Products/Notebook/Chipsets/945PM/945PM-overview.htm

which is the chipset on the nw9440 mobile workstation.  Not always completely reliable but it might help . . .

The biggest issue with laptops is the severe limitations placed on the chipset by a custom BIOS.
Just because one knows which chipset is installed doesn't help very much if the CPU or memory module that one wants to install to effect an upgrade is not supported by the BIOS ROM file.
One can purchase a processor or CPU of the correct socket type appropriate to a laptop, but it still may not be supported by the BIOS. It all depends on whether one is willing to take a gamble ($$$) or not. BIOS support is all important in the upgrade process.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Thanks to Both, and yes chipset will direct to posibilities, which will be limited by BIOS. I wish the systemboard was in fact an asus XY.?? etc, so one could refer to those specs etc for upgrades & subsequent BIOS updates...How does one go about getting an update request into HP to accomodate the bios updates we need? I have been involved with CPQ and HP for years (onsite warr. technician etc... for Cpq & Hp) and know updates of this sort do occur. The newest 45nm proc with a quad is the same socket & fsb as well, and if i'm upgrading this model thats where i'd like to go. I bought this as a cheap do everything mobile device ($400 bucks) and find it to be sufficient for the current needs. I also am about to use the free windows 7 upgrade path and if am doing upgrades(s) then would like those in place b4...no new question just looking at questions posted...thanks for the help! (64bit should always accomodate mor ram)
HP Recommended

Hi,

@cpq-new wrote:
Thanks to Both, and yes chipset will direct to posibilities, which will be limited by BIOS. I wish the systemboard was in fact an asus XY.?? etc, so one could refer to those specs etc for upgrades & subsequent BIOS updates...How does one go about getting an update request into HP to accomodate the bios updates we need? I have been involved with CPQ and HP for years (onsite warr. technician etc... for Cpq & Hp) and know updates of this sort do occur. The newest 45nm proc with a quad is the same socket & fsb as well, and if i'm upgrading this model thats where i'd like to go. I bought this as a cheap do everything mobile device ($400 bucks) and find it to be sufficient for the current needs. I also am about to use the free windows 7 upgrade path and if am doing upgrades(s) then would like those in place b4...no new question just looking at questions posted...thanks for the help! (64bit should always accomodate mor ram)

As far as a BIOS update request goes...when there are enough problems in hardware for particular laptops that there must be something  done...that is when we see the updates.

Some of the motherboards are ASUS. Those are ok. The motherboards that are Pegatron or Wistron as not so great.  

When you get ready to do the Windows 7 upgrade...take a look and make sure that the drivers are available. AFAIK all laptop Windows 7 drivers have not been made available as Windows 7 just ''hit the street". 

regards,

erico 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
I have a HP Pavilion DV7 3067cl and am trying to figure out if i can upgrade the DVD-ROM to a Blu-Ray drive. http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01890529 is HP's only link to it.
HP Recommended

This is probably not the place to post re. any upgrades...

2cents is Blu-ray needs a fairly specific highend range of graphics adaptors, and a decent proc as well...look at the specs page of the drive re the system reqs...

HP Recommended

Erico,

Question again.  if i want to boost the speed of the notebook (Compaq CQ61-314TU) what type of CPUs should support? chipset is Intel GL40 and current CPU is Celeron T3000 dual core cpu.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the wonderful thread. I have a question. Is it possible to replace an integrated Tv Tuner card (minicard) with another one.

Im currently owning HP HDX 13 1355ee notebook ( http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3982255& )  which has an integrated HP DVB-T TV Tuner. I wanted to upgrade it with a Hybrid card, preferrable internal one, as im not interested in external cards. Im unsure about the possiblilty. Please reply.

Also, is the Maintenance & Service Manual available for this mode? Ive bee searching for it without any luck!

Regards,

Elang

HDX 16 1355ee
(Centrino2 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM,
500 GB HDD, GeForce GT 130M)
HP Recommended

Hi,

@Elang_V wrote:

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the wonderful thread. I have a question. Is it possible to replace an integrated Tv Tuner card (minicard) with another one.

Im currently owning HP HDX 13 1355ee notebook ( http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3982255& )  which has an integrated HP DVB-T TV Tuner. I wanted to upgrade it with a Hybrid card, preferrable internal one, as im not interested in external cards. Im unsure about the possiblilty. Please reply.

Also, is the Maintenance & Service Manual available for this mode? Ive bee searching for it without any luck!

Regards,

Elang

What kind of hybrid card are you referring to?

The Maintenence & Service manual is here.

regards,

erico 

HP Recommended

@erico wrote:

Hi,

@Elang_V wrote:

Hi,

Regards,

Elang

What kind of hybrid card are you referring to?

The Maintenence & Service manual is here.

regards,

erico 

Hi Erico,

Thanks a lot for the replying. And the link is wonderful 🙂 It gives all the manuals which i was looking for!

TV Tuner which is in-built can receive only over the air digital signals. So, i want to replace it with hybrid tv tuner card which can receive both digital as well as analog signals. Im not getting a clear response from HP Support team regarding this.

Regards,

Elang

HDX 16 1355ee
(Centrino2 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM,
500 GB HDD, GeForce GT 130M)
HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

Is it possible to upgrade laptops screen to higher resolution screen (WUXGA 1080p full HD) have seen many people done that before. is there anything to consider beforehand?

Thanks,

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.