Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520
macOS 10.12 Sierra

When I am printing from my HP Envy 4520, it only prints part of the page.

Meaning, if I am printing an e-mail message, it will only print some of the message body (text, etc.).

It's selective and random as to what it prints.

If I am printing something with graphics on it, it will only print half the graphic.

For example, I was printing a check list that had bullet points defined as enlarged circles (so I check things off the list as I completed them). It only printed half the enlarged circle and none of the text beside the circles.

Any suggestions?

I already tried reinstalling the software and driver.

My supply levels are marked as "good".

I'm using the correct paper.

I am using my printer wirelessly, however. Perhaps hooking it up with a USB cable would be better.

Really, I am hoping others have had this same issue and that a patch has been created to resolve this problem.

Incidentally, my printer has worked fine since I bought it (in September of 2016) and this problem has only begun today.

Below are some images of the problem.HP Envy 4520 printer error.jpeg

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @ErikHarshman,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you are having print quality issues on your HP Envy 5540 printer. I'll be really glad to help you with this,

Are you using genuine HP ink cartridges?

Have you tried to Print a Print Quality Diagnostic report?

Have you tried to clean the ink cartridges?

Are you able to make a copy from the printer?

Let's start by performing a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

Let’s first try and make a “photocopy” to determine whether the issue is with the printer or not. Place a document on the scanner glass and choose “Copy” option. If the printer is making a good copy, then the printer hardware is fine.

For more details, please go through the support document for - Fixing Poor Print Quality - Click here

Next thing, I would suggest here is to reset the Printing system:

Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.

Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.

Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.

Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.

Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.

Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list

Restart your computer and then go back to System Preferences – Printers and scanners.

Click the “Add button” (+).

Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.

Click “Print Using...”, and then select the name of your printer (By default “Airprint” would be selected)

Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.