Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Office jet Pro 8500A Plus
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased this printer a few years ago and registered it at the time I bought it. Set up eprint and was given an email address to use. Now when I sign into HPConnected it says I don't have any printers set up  and when I try to add mine, it asks for a printer claim code. On my printer, it says web services are enabled and does show my printer email address, but when I click on print info page so that I can get the printer claim code it just continually says trying to connect and never does.  Under web services I did turn eprint off and then back on, but it still will not print the printer claim code and I can't find it on ay other settings or document pages.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@bdube

Welcome to the HP Forums, this is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you are unable to get the printer claim code to setup HP ePrint. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

Turn on Web Services

On your printer control panel, touch or press the HP ePrint icon or button.

If your printer control panel does not have an HP ePrint icon or button, navigate to Web Services Setup, Network Setup, or Wireless Settingsto open the Web Services menu, depending on your printer model.

• If a prompt to turn on Web Services or setup HP ePrint displays, touch or press Turn On, Enable, or Setup, depending your printer control panel, follow the on-screen instructions, and then continue to the next step.

If you are prompted to update the firmware, touch or press OK.

Figure : Example of clicking Setup to turn on Web Services

Example of clicking Setup to turn on Web Services.
  • If a Web Services Summary screen or connected status displays, Web Services is already on.

Click Print Info to obtain an information sheet, and then continue to the next step.

Figure : Example of Web Services menu displaying the printer's email address

Example of Web Services menu displaying the printer's email address.

Obtain the printer claim code

After you turn on Web Services, wait for the printer to print the Make the Most of Your Printer or Important Printer Setup Instructions page. The information page contains information about Web Services, and includes the printer claim code required to add your printer on HP Connected.

Occasionally there is a delay when printing the information page. If you turned on Web Services, but the page does not print, wait 5 to 10 minutes. If it still does not print, turn off Web Services, and then turn on Web Services again, to obtain a new information page.

Locate the printer claim code on the page, and then continue to the next step.

NOTE:

The printer claim code is valid for 24 hours. If the code expires, repeat these steps to get a new code.

Use the claim code to add your printer on HP Connected

1. Go to HP Connected, click Sign Up to create a new account, or Sign In for existing accounts.

Figure : Sign Up or Sign In on HP Connected

2. From the My Printers tab, click the Add a Printer button.

3. Type the printer claim code found on the information page, click Add, and then click OK.

NOTE:

Make sure you type the printer claim code exactly as it is shown, or your printer is not added.

Figure : Typing the printer claim code and clicking Add

Image: Typing the printer claim code and clicking Add.
  4. If you created a new HP Connected account, verify your account.

The HP ePrint server sends an email to the email account you used during the sign up process. Open the email, and then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the account verification.

If you do not receive a verification email within a few minutes, check your spam folder.

Click here and refer the HP document for more assistance.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the boiler plate reply Sandy, but apparently you didn't bother to read my problem or didn't read it in full. I did create an account years ago and have a eprint email address, but when I go to the site it says I don't have any printers registered, and wants a claim code to register it. I have web services turned on (and I did turn it off and then back on) and it shows my eprint email address but when I click on print info is just spins saying it's trying to connect until it gives up. At some point in time, HP's database must have been corrupted so it thinks I never registered which I did and I can't get the thing registered until I get the printer claim code, so in my uneducated opinion, I must need to clear all this out and start all over or some flag has to be set at HP.com to allow me to proceed.  My HPeprint address is [Personal Information Removed] and when I click on that in settings and then click on print, it also goes to connecting and does nothing until it times out.

HP Recommended

@bdube

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

I understand the issue better now.

You can update the your HP connected account information.

1. Go to HP Connected, and then sign in to your account.

2. From the HP Connected window, click the Settings drop-down list.

3. Select My Account, Notifications, or Printing.

You can now edit your account settings, notification preferences, and add authorized email addresses.

Refer this HP document to know more how to manage your hp connected account.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sandy, under settings/notifications there is only a check box for hpconnected to send me email.  Under account settings, I can change my email or user name and password. So apparently you didn't understand the issue.  Will you please re-read my prior reply

" I did create an account years ago and have a eprint email address, but when I go to the site it says I don't have any printers registered, and wants a claim code to register it. I have web services turned on (and I did turn it off and then back on) and it shows my eprint email address but when I click on print info is just spins saying it's trying to connect until it gives up. At some point in time, HP's database must have been corrupted so it thinks I never registered which I did and I can't get the thing registered until I get the printer claim code, so in my uneducated opinion, I must need to clear all this out and start all over or some flag has to be set at HP.com to allow me to proceed.  My HPeprint address is [Personal Information Removed] and when I click on that in settings and then click on print, it also goes to connecting and does nothing until it times out."

I was given or created the eprint address a few years ago, but apparently my eprint printer registration has been corrupted on your end since when I click on print info from the printer it just sipns and can't connect to HP becuase of the prior registration problem  and without being able to do that I can't get the claim code. I don't know how to make this any simpler or more detailed to excplain the problem. The HP eprint address shows on my printer but HP doesn't recognise it and until you do recognize it, I can't get the claim code to register my printer at the HP Conncted site.  If there sin't anything on HP's end to reset, is there a way I can reset my printer so that it allows me to start the resistration process over? I do have HP Smart app on my iPhone and it connects and works fine, but eprint offers some things it doesn't. 

HP Recommended

@bdube

Thanks for writing back to us.

This issue may require one to one interaction with the HP Phone Support.

I suggest that you contact HP Phone Support for further assistance at the link: www.hp.com/contacthp

You have a good day ahead.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Did this ever get resolved?  I have the exact same problem.  I cannot get my printer claim code, nor email address....display is stuck on "connecting".  Looks like the same HP support I am used to, as well.  How do I fix this issue?

HP Recommended

No I never did get it resolved, however my pritner was about 5 years old, and I eventually started having some print head problems I get to clear by itself and due to the age of my printer, I didn't want to purhcase new print heads so I wnet and purhcased an Office Jet Pro 8720 and since it was new, it went through the setup process with no problem. Sorry I don't have good news for you. I am sure it can be resolved but I never had any luck with HP support. 

HP Recommended

This just happened to me as well.  I just moved from California (aka WARMER) to Virginia (aka MUCH colder) and I've noticed that my laptop if left near a window or on the floor will automatically shut off and my printer sits near a window so wondering if the cold is the problem?  

It's frustrating to read that they don't answer your question and when I tried to chat with support, it shows they aren't available - "check back".  I'm hoping moving printer will work because I don't want to buy another HP Printer.

Here's my steps to try to fix:

1. turned printer off and then on

2. Reloaded the printer driver (try to keep in mind that this printer has been working for me for 4 years and I just printed a document right before it decided it wasn't going to print anymore - NO ERROR messages are seen.

3) I look at troubleshooting and follow instructions to touch ePrint icon to get claim code HOWEVER, the printed page ONLY shows my printer's email address. There is NO CLAIM CODE and I tried twice and wasted printer ink.

4) I look on your HP Community and see that someone else had the exact same problem and the HP person didn't bother reading.

HP Recommended

HI,
I'm the asam problem...
I have a new pronter, I register on the HP connected to custumize the pronter, but I have'nt possibility to check in the pronter.

The claim code is a missing item - the stepbystep tutorial have'nt any indentic screenshot about the setting the printer, and find the claim code.
The printed details is only the default e-mail adress, not the claim code, too.

I have'nt find any description about the claim code recuperation, the support pages are not identic to my printer control panel images - on the control panel, I have'nt any option to setup the netowork settings...

ANy idea to solve this problem...?
Regards,

Tibor

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.