Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Very Fruastrated --- Please help!

Recently purchased a HP 2545, installed clean and able to print from a USB cable.

Connecting directly to the printer via wireless prompts me for a security key... which I cant remember setting up... How do I retrieve the key or how do I reset it to factory default?

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

hi Emenike,

I believe that the Security Key you are referring to is actually the WEP key (password) for your internet. Try that instead and it should resolve the issue. 

Please let me know if this doesn't work for you!

Jesyka 🙂

I work on behalf of HP. #HPExpertsDay

Please click the thumbs up + button if I have helped you. Mark Accepted Solution if your problem is resolved.

HP Recommended

Very unlikely, cos I am not connecting to the Wireless Router... I am connecting straight to the Printer via Wireless... I know my Router Key and it does not work when I type it in for the the printer...

Is there no way to reset it? or reveal it like the SSID Key for my router?

HP Recommended

Hmmm, okay. Then try this, I think this is what you are referring to.

Go to this site : 

https://192.168.1.10

Setup your Wireless Password

1. Click network then HP Wireless Direct
  2. The following appears:

HP Wireless Direct Status              On (with security)

Passcode (Min 8 characters):          77753727HP

Wireless Direct Name :              HP-Print-6D-Deskjet 2540 series

I hope this answers the question better. Please let me know if this still doesn't work!

Jesyka 🙂

Please click the thumbs up + button if I have helped you. Mark Accepted Solution if your problem is resolved.

HP Recommended

This also doesnt work... that IP doesnt reslve to any site, and there is no HP Direct link on my laptop. I dont understand where you saw the comands above... pls explain.

HP Recommended

Have you looked at the support pages for this printer?  I see procedures to "convert a USB connection to a wireless one" listed.

See this page:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Deskjet-Ink-Advantage-2540-All-in-One-Printer-series/5285095/...

If you previously installed and use the printer with a USB cable, or chose the Connect Later option during the driver installation, you can set up the printer with the HP wireless direct connection.
  1. On the printer control panel, touch the HP wireless direct icon (), or navigate to the Network Setup or Wireless Settings menu and touchWireless Direct, and then turn on the connection.
  2. To require a password (recommended) when connecting to the printer, select On or On with security. Note the security passcode, and then touch OK.
  3. On the computer or laptop, click the wireless icon () or (), and then select HP-Print-xx-[your printer model name] from the list of available networks.
     NOTE:
    If the printer name does not display, you might be out of range of the HP wireless direct signal. Move your computer and printer closer together.
  4. If prompted, type the security passcode from the printer control panel.
  5. On the computer, open the list of installed programs or applications, click the HP folder, and then click the name of your HP printer.
  6. Click Printer Setup & Software, and then click Connect a new printer.
  7. Select Wireless, and then click Next.
  8. Click your printer name, and then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the connection and driver installation.
  9. Open the Printers folder in the computer settings or control panel, and then locate the two icons that display for your printer.
  10. Select the icon with Network in the name to print with HP wireless direct.
     NOTE:
    If you no longer want to print using a USB cable connection, delete the other printer icon.
  11. Reconnect the computer to your normal wireless network.

HTH,

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

Thanks WyreNut,

I am always prompted to supply password (key) as in step 4... and since I dont know (cant remember) the pass pharse, I skip to step 5, but there is no such listing of my HP printer under HP. I see a listing for HP deskjet for 3520, but not for HP 2545. Can I use that one to create a new priter connection?....

Oppps tried it but that didnt work either...

HP Recommended

Screen Grab1.gif

HP Recommended

Try this too:

Print a configuration page to get the printer's network information.

Printing a Network Configuration Page.

To verify the wireless password on the computer, if it is wireless, you can access the network information through the Print and Scan Doctor or right on the computer if the computer is wireless setup to the router.

Download and run the Print and Scan Doctor. Find and fix common printer problems using HP diagnostic tools for Windows? Click on Network across the top, show Advanced Info, Show Wireless Info. 

It will list the SSID, (network name) Network Key, (password) and the Security Type. (WEP, WPA, Open)

From the computer, right click on the wireless icon on the taskbar, click properties, check show password, shows password and encryption type. 

Here is some documentation for Installing the Printer Software for a Wireless Network Connection.

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Jesyka 🙂

HP Recommended

It appears that the document for a network configuration page is broken, I apologize for this. Please try this link instead: 

HP Wireless Printers - Find Your Wireless Network Password (WEP, WPA or WPA2 Key or Passphrase)

Jesyka 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.