Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Thank you to all especially Curious_Joe and ShlomiL.  I met with success going by going to the play store to Anroid System Webview and disabled "enable auto update". Tried printing and it worked!

HP Recommended

@Shlomil thank you for your input.  You are not a shlomazel, but  your solution isn't what it appears to be.

I tried it, but my Android System Webview app did not have any 3 dots, as it had never been updated in my Note 8, because Chrome had taken over at version 79, disabling my Webview.  Then the Chrome update made it incompatible with the printer plug ins.

The Current version of Android System Webview is 86.  So since Chrome blocked the update because it disabled Android System Webview, there is no 3 dots.  You only get the 3 dots if webview ACTUALLY has been updated.

However, that gave me a clue on how to solve this and have all my updates, for security reasons, and still be able to print.  So thank you.

Also, I happen to like Chrome on Android, but not on my Desktop, where I use Firefox.  Firefox is not as robust on mobile, at least not yet, as it has no real print option in the menu for mobile, where Chrome does.  That's a story for another day.

The permanent fix is as follows:

1. Disable Chrome for several days.  Use any other browser in the meantime.

2. It will allow you to print in the meantime, without that annoying error message.

3. Disable auto-update for the App Store, so you can actually see when things are going to be updated, and give your permission for each app indvidually.

Disabling Chrome will allow Android System Webview to contact the app store and update to version 86, which I believe is current one.

4. Once Android System Webview is updated, then and only then will you have the 3 dots.  However, there is no need to uninstall the update as @shlomil suggests.

6. Now re-enable Chrome, and update it.

All will now be well, and printing is once again resumed as before.

Apparently the incompatibility was/is a result of the lack of updates in unison of both Webview and Chrome, because Chrome blocked updates from the App Store, because webview was seen by the App Store as disabled.

Now I can update all programs including Chrome, so I am able to re-enable auto-update, and all is well.

Ahh to be able to print at will, whomever will is. LOL.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.