Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet 6500A
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I have an HP DeskJet 6500A (E710N-z) that has been working great with ePrint for years to allow printing through Google Cloud Print on Chrome for the Mac, as well as on Chromebooks.   However recently most of my jobs have been erroring out with "Job aborted in external service" on the Google Cloud Print side. 

Because I can't view job history on HP Connected any longer, I have no mechanism to diagnose it there.  I can email some jobs to my printer's ePrint email address and they work so I know that ePrint is working for some things.  I can also print from some web sites to the Google Cloud Print destination it works, but most do not.

For example, I can print the job status page from Google Cloud print [edit]and can print a receipt from Delta.com, but can't print just a blank Google Chrome startup page, as well as from most other web sites.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?  In looking at my print history, everything seemed to work up until October of last year, and then 95% of the jobs have failed since then.

I've deleted and re-added the printer on both the ePrint side (HP Connected), as well as from Google Cloud Print.  But neither really make a difference. 

Thanks in advance for the assistance. 

Patrick

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Patrick_HOB

A warm welcome to HP Support Community!

A print job sent from your computer to Google Cloud Print does not print could be due to several reason such as unregistered printer, outdated firmware, or a connection issue.

Let's try these steps:

Step 1: Make sure the printer is connected to Google Cloud Print

To print from the cloud, your printer must be connected to Google Cloud Print.

1. Make sure your printer is connected to a wired (Ethernet) or wireless network with an active Internet connection.

2. Turn on your printer.

3. Make sure your printer and your device are connected to the same network.

4. On your computer or Chromebook, open the Chrome browser, and then sign in to your Google account.

5. Go to Cloud Print > Printers (in English).

A list of your Google Cloud Print printers displays.

• If your printer displays, try to print. Continue to the next step if you still cannot print.

• If your web-connected printer does not display, note your printer's email address, go to Connect Your HP Printer with Google Cloud Print (in English), and then follow the on-screen instructions. Once you complete the registration, try to print. Continue to the next step if you still cannot print.

Step 2: Update the printer firmware

If your printer is connected to a network and registered to Google Cloud Print, check the printer firmware version. Go to Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware for more information.

Step 3: Check the connection between your printer and your network.

• Restart the printer and the computer: Restarting the computer and the printer can clear error conditions.

• Confirm the printer connection and network name: On the printer, make sure the blue light next to the Wireless icon  is on and steady. Open the Wireless network menu to make sure the printer is connected to the same network as your computer.

• Move the printer and router closer together: Move the printer and the computer closer to your wireless router, to within 6 ft (1.8 m). Wireless signals are weaker at greater distances between the printer and the router.

• Manually connect the printer to the network: Many HP printers have a Wireless Setup Wizard on the printer control panel network or wireless settings menus. Follow the on-screen instructions to connect the printer to the network.

• Restart the router: If you are experiencing a slow or intermittent wireless connection, restart your router. Consult your router manufacturer, Internet service provider, or network administrator for instructions on how to restart the router.

• Check the router band setting: Many routers operate in both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz frequency bands, but not all HP printers support both bands. Make sure the 2.4 GHz router band is turned on and broadcasting. If the router broadcasts separate network names (SSIDs) for each band, connect the printer to the 2.4 GHz band SSID.

• Check your firewall software: Your firewall software might prevent the printer from accessing the computer. Accept or allow any firewall messages that display during the printer software download and installation. You can also configure the software to allow HP downloads and installations.

• Check for obstructions between the printer and the router: Remove any metal objects between the printer, the computer, and the access point (router). Objects such as refrigerators or metal bookcases can interfere with wireless signals.

• Check for other devices that emit radio and wireless signals: Move any devices that emit radio signals, such as microwaves and cordless telephones, farther away from the printer.

• Set the IP address on the printer: Your printer can bypass automatic IP address assignment by DHCP and use any valid IP address you choose. Use the control panel menu to type an IP address that is valid for use on your local area network.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

I know that the printer works with Google Cloud Print because some jobs work, but unfortunately, others fail, but with no ability to diagnose those problems.

I have already tried updating the firmware, but I have the latest.

Any way to diagnose or understand why some jobs fail with "Job aborted in external service" errors?

HP Recommended

@Patrick_HOB

I have read in a couple of discussions that, deleting and re-adding the printer on Google cloud printer have cleared the "Job aborted in external service" error. Here is how to do it:

1.) Go to google.com/cloudprint.

2.) On the left, click Printers.

3.) Click your printer.

4.) At the top, click Delete.

5.) Set up your printer. Learn how to set up your printer with Google Cloud Print.

Keep me posted!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.  As I said in my original post I've already deleted and re-added.  No real difference.

Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

@Patrick_HOB

I got an update yesterday that the ePrint server is currently under unscheduled maintenance. The server should be up and running properly within 24 hours. Could you check after 24 hours and let me know the results.

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.