Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy and 7640 allin one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am not sure when this problem first occured, but I think it may be result of either an update from MS or HP. My laptop will not recognize or find my 7640 all in one printer although Ican print of all my Apple devises. I have tried to uninstall the printer in Windows and reinstal the printer and drivers. but they will not ifinish the install. Also the printer is not listed in the Win10 printer Queses.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@1MadHacker

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor. Click here to download the tool.

Once downloaded, run the tool and click on Fix printing.

Let us try assigning a TCP/IP port to install the printer as the Full-featured driver did not work.

1. Search Windows for devices, and then select Devices and Printers in the list of results.

2. Click on Add a printer > Click on The printer that I want isn't listed.

3. Select Add a printer using TCP/IP address or hostname, click next

4. On the Hostname or IP address, Type the printer’s IP address - 196.168.1.6

5. Check the box at the bottom that says Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use, click Next

6. In the next window, under manufacturer select HP and under printer, select Envy 7640

7. If you do not find Envy 7640, click on Windows update and try again.

8. Once the driver is selected > click on finish

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@1MadHacker

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

• Make sure the printer and the computer are connected to the same wireless network.
  • This printer supports only a 2.4GHz network

Connecting the printer to the wireless network and installing the HP Full-featured drivers may resolve this issue. Let us try these steps: 

Step 1: Reboot your network devices

1. Turn off the Router, Printer, and the computer.
  2. Wait for 60 seconds.
  3. Turn on the Router first and wait for all the lights to stabilize.
  4. Turn on the printer and allow it to configure itself.
  5. Turn on the computer.

Step 2: Restore wireless settings and run the Wireless setup wizard

1. From the home screen of your printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/162/c02131772.gif.
  2. Touch the Setup icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/359/c04943257.gif.
  3. Touch Restore Network Defaults or Restore Network Settings, and then touch Yes to confirm your selection.
  4. After the default network settings are restored, touch the back arrow, touch Wireless Settings, and then touch Wireless Setup Wizard.
  5. The printer searches for available networks.
  6. Touch the name of your wireless network.
  7. Type your network security password (WEP or WPA key), and then touch Done.

Step 3: Check the connectivity

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer. You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  2. Type the IP address at the top of your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  3. If you get any security notification, click on 'proceed to this website'.
  4. Try and print a test page.

Step 4: Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Try to Print.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Kumar0307 for your response and sugestions to resolve my problem. None of the sugestions have resolved my pronblem. I think the primary reason is that the problem is not with the conectivity of my printer, as is is connected to my home network and operates properly with my two Apple deveces. The problem is with my HP Envy laptop. it will not recognoze the printer. I have tried numerous times to install the latest HP all in on driver from HP to no avail. The download completes, but once the install starts, it stops imediately with no error message. This problem started about three weeks ago, and I think as the result either from a auto update from HP or from an auto update from Win10. Prior to that, The laptop work properly with the printer and I had no problems. The laptop is also connected with me home network and all othe WiFi operations n this PC work properly, except with the printer as previously noted.

So, it seems to me there is a problem with the laptop havng a corrupt HP print driver that is preventing it from being able to down load a current working driver. If you can help me resolve this problem I think it will fix my problem. I do not want to nilly willy start deleting Hp software, not knowing if that will correct the problem. that is where I need your help.

HP Recommended

@1MadHacker

• What is the IP address of the printer? Tap on the wireless icon on the printer screen to get the IP address.
  • DId you type this IP address in a web browser and check as mentioned in my previous post, step 3? What happens?
  • Also, try pinging the printer from your PC to check the connectivity.
  • Search Windows for cmd > Click on it > once the Black window is open, type in 'ping <ipaddress of the printer>' hit enter.

• There should be 0% loss.
  • Once the PC is able to communicate with the printer, then we can troubleshoot on the driver issue.

If you get any error message, send me a screenshot of the same.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks again for your reply. I will run through your questions.

1 )IP address of the printer  is 196.168.1.6

2) Yes I typed the IP addrees into my web brouser. It brings up the HP Envy 7640 e all in one printer page. No there are no updates noted on the page.

3) I pinged the printer as requested. There is 0% loss and there were no error messages

It appears the laptop is communicating with the printer and that there is anouther problem somewhere.

Let me know what you want me to do next.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@1MadHacker

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor. Click here to download the tool.

Once downloaded, run the tool and click on Fix printing.

Let us try assigning a TCP/IP port to install the printer as the Full-featured driver did not work.

1. Search Windows for devices, and then select Devices and Printers in the list of results.

2. Click on Add a printer > Click on The printer that I want isn't listed.

3. Select Add a printer using TCP/IP address or hostname, click next

4. On the Hostname or IP address, Type the printer’s IP address - 196.168.1.6

5. Check the box at the bottom that says Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use, click Next

6. In the next window, under manufacturer select HP and under printer, select Envy 7640

7. If you do not find Envy 7640, click on Windows update and try again.

8. Once the driver is selected > click on finish

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

KUMAR0307, it appears that your last suggestion has resolved the problem. it asked me to print a test page, which I did. I also printed a couple of emails which printed as they should have.

I want to thank you for your help and patience. I will contact you if I have any futher questions or problems. I also clicked on your Accepte Solution tab. Thank so much again.

HP Recommended

@1MadHacker

Glad to know that the issue is now resolved. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.