Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have also tried every suggestion to no avail.  Why is this so complicated and why is there no concern or response from HP? 

HP Recommended

I too have a refurb 8500a plus all in one, No model number in the self test diagnostics page. it says no updates are available, then says printer was unable to connect to server, asks for proxy...which i don't have. i have done everything under the moon, reset to defaults, re installed software, etc. Have been trying for two days now and am ready to just send it back for a refund. PLEASE HELP US!

HP Recommended

Hi jjroc1,

Can you please send me a private message with the self test diagnostic page and your contact details.

We will work with you to resolve this.

Thank you.

I am an HP employee

**** Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution" ****
HP Recommended

Hello Windrunner123,

Thank you for your response, it seems the problem lies with the refurbished printers. (If you have a sticker on the back of your printer that says refurbished)  I got in touch with a case manager and she was very helpful. She replaced my refurb with a new officejet pro 8500a plus (a910g).  I was told also that it was server problems, so before i installed the new printer i ran web services setup on refurb just to make sure... no luck.  So I unpacked new printer went through setup and Voila! i am now connected through web services and have my email address and apps for printer.  Good luck everyone!

This was my "Accepted Solution" as requested

HP Recommended

now i connect HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus in Myanmar. But i cannot get eprint for address, that mean proxy error. So i want to type 15.201.49.135, not connect server. How can i do for that please tach me.

thank for all.

HP Recommended

aceito

HP Recommended

sim

@jjroc1 wrote:

Hello Windrunner123,

Thank you for your response, it seems the problem lies with the refurbished printers. (If you have a sticker on the back of your printer that says refurbished)  I got in touch with a case manager and she was very helpful. She replaced my refurb with a new officejet pro 8500a plus (a910g).  I was told also that it was server problems, so before i installed the new printer i ran web services setup on refurb just to make sure... no luck.  So I unpacked new printer went through setup and Voila! i am now connected through web services and have my email address and apps for printer.  Good luck everyone!

This was my "Accepted Solution" as requested

aceito

HP Recommended

We use a proxy, but in addition to IP and port must also enter username and password.

We can configure our HP 8500A OJ in this way.
Thanks

HP Recommended

FWIW,

I had the same problem with my new HP6500A Plus.  I was able to detect and connect easily to the printer and print from the computer and send scans from the printer to the computer.   But when I tried to connect the printer to web services and eprint I got the message "A proxy address might be required to connect to web services."

I checked to see if my computer was using a proxy server/address:

(in Internet Explorer click on "Tools" [on mine its the gear shaped logo in the upper right corner], then click "Internet Options,"  then "Connections," then "Lan Settings," then on the bottom half of the page it will show if you are using a proxy setting and what the port number is).  My computer was not using a proxy server/address.

Then I checked with my ISP and they told me that they don't use a proxy server/address either.  They did recommend that I update the firmware in my wireless modem and they told me how to do that.

Once the modem was updated I tried connecting to web services and it worked right away and the eprint services work perfectly.

Anyway, that worked for me.   Your mileage may vary.

HP Recommended

Hi

After a long research, i was able to use eprint. For french people like me, i put some words to help them too

Problème imprimante HP 8500 proxy eprint

Ok, i installed my 8500 on wifi, setting a fixed ip manualy, also something like

192.168.0.254 (Freebox)

Then, i was able to use it with my iPhone and my computer after running HP programm to install printer or HP app.

But, when i clicked on web server on the printer, i accepted to use the service..., and a message said the proxy was not defined, and i had to introduce proxy adress and port. But i dont need that. As i clicked, i was oblidge to set an adress, because when you open the proxy setting page, you cannot go out without writing anything. You will understand the problem after. I put also 0, and later as it was no good, 0.0.0.0 which was not good also.

Also, my printer was configured, and along forums, i saw that i had to set DNS. I went on the computer, tapped the ip adress of my printer 192.168.0.1 on my browser (you have to be on the same wifi connexion), but nothing was happening.I restarted the printer, and then it worked. i went in the parameters, and i opened the page to set wifi IPV4. DNS was not set, i added the freebox DNS: 212.27.40.240 & 212.27.40.241.

I went back on the printer, tried again the web service, and something changed. I writed looking for updates, then i could read my hp printer adress like ...@hmeprint.com, and below, was writen the proxy set (i tried 0 and 0.0.0.0), and the port 80. I tried to print it, but the proxy message appeared again, and i could not go further. One good thing at this point, i got an adress.

I finally restored my printer to factory setting via menu, and tried again, but this time, without clickin on proxy when the proxy message was prompt. The difference was then, that after having set the DNS on the computer, when i clicked on web service, i could read my hp adress as before, and the proxy line was empty. I clicked on print, and i printed the page.

No proxy problem anymore !!!

Conclusion: you have a manuel connexion with fixed IP

Set your connexion on the printer

If you try to use web server, it will say proxy needed. DONT OPEN the proxy setting (left down border button)

Go on the computer and enter parameters of printer via IP (if it doesn't work, restart printer one or 2 times)

Set the wireless connexion IPV4 and add the DNS (free: 212.27.40.240 and 212.27.40.241).

Then try again web service on the printer: press print when your adress is on the screan and le proxy line empty.

For me, it worked.

Did it help you ?

I gess that people using automatic wifi connexion may not have the possibility to set DNS, what should already be done. For me, i cumulated 2 things, the DNS which was not set inducing the proxy request, and the second problem that clicking on proxy setting to add adress made it finaly not possible to go further and it was then necessary to restore defautl setting of the printer.

Bye

Denis2vol

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.