Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Over the last 2 months, several of the community members have dealt with some measure of success with sound problems on the AMD Radeon Graphics controller with controls both Sound and Video.  We know that the initial Radeon drivers were a "lite" version which were broken, resulting in several sound problems - the camera or mic did not show up, the sound would freeze during Zoom meetings, or, during Zoom meetings, a loud buzzing sound would start and then lock up the computer, requiring reboot.
Through trial and error, we discovered that some user were hopeful that new Radeon drivers (Ver. 20.9.1, which replaced 20.8.3) would solve the issue. 

I removed the old drivers, then installed the new drivers, Version 20.9.1, with the new Radeon Software.  Zoom meetings went well for several days (3-4).  However, on 9/26/2020, about 2 hours into a Zoom meeting that I was hosting, the video suddenly froze and the loud buzzing sound started, requiring a hard reboot.  Windows Updates is still paused on my system, and I checked to be sure that the current drivers had not been overwritten.
Note to fellow community members, especially Blyat, sjn60, mmac05, ashleydana,  and others:  THE SOUND & DRIVER PROBLEM ON THE 15m-ee0013dx HP Envy x360 Convertible IS NOT FIXED. THE SOUND PROBLEM PERSISTS.

QUESTION for Community members:  Can you tell me if the older AMD Radeon Graphic driver version 20.8.3 is holding up and fixes the issue or if you continue to have that same problem?  I can drop back to 20.8.3 if necessary.  What is your experience on this persistent issue?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Orvy 

Due to Intel CPU's are slower in terms of price/performance therefore many vendors switch to AMD and looks like AMD drivers are not helpful.

Please try

https://www.amd.com/en/support

and

(a) Uninstall Audio driver

(b) do a cleanup using following information/fix:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601

https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/amdcleanuputility.exe

(c) reboot machine

Machine will re-install Audio driver for you.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I'm currently running on Adrenaline 20.8.3 and it's still an issue. I installed 20.9.1 about a week ago, but suffered a BSOD w/in a few hours of the update, and so decided to roll back. As someone mentioned in another thread, it's interesting that there's now only one graphics driver available (Jun 24) for the envy - the two latest have been removed. Unless I'm missing something, why slyly remove the updates if they're faulty. Why no notice from HP? I've tried keeping my Zoom/MS teams usage to a minumim. but the laptop occasionally freezes when remoting into my desktop, watching youtube. Has anyone tried installing 20.9.2 (which was released just yesterday)?

HP Recommended

Vlasovian,

To your question, on my HP Envy x360 Model 15m-ee0013dx, purchased in August 2020, I had "upgraded" my initial AMD Radeon Graphics drivers from what I believe was the initial 20.8.3 version to the AMD recommended 20.9.1.  I first uninstalled the old drivers, ran the AMD Cleanup Utility, then installed the new Radeon drivers.  Then, on 9/29/2020, I received notice from AMD (I am now on their driver distribution and newsletter list) that version 20.9.2 was released.  Since sound problems, screen freeze and auto-reboot problems had continued with 20.9.1, I elected to install the newly-released 20.9.2.  I repeated the process of uninstalling the current drivers, running AMD Cleanup Utility in safe mode, then downloading and installing 20.9.2 from the AMD support website at https://www.amd.com/en/support .  CAUTION:  When running the installation, the install utility will present you with the choice of 20.9.1 or 20.9.2 - be careful to make the correct driver selection before hitting "Install".
Does it work?  It is too soon to tell.  The Release Notes for 20.9.2 said that AMD included additional games and corrected the action of some previous games.  It also appeared that this "point release" bug fix was primarily for gamers since the installation routine still shows 20.9.1 as "recommended" and 20.9.2 as "optional".  There was an oblique mention of maybe having corrected some user-related video issues, but no specific mention.   My initial tests of using Zoom have been inconclusive so far since the sound and video problems, the locking up, rebooting, BSOD are intermittent.  I would hope that other users (ashleydana, blyat, sjn60, mmac05, mrwagoo, Orvy) would report back if/when they install 20.9.2 and let us know if these drivers worked for them.

HP Recommended

Try out this method suggested here by Musicpos, I've used it and it has been working for a week with no issue.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Audio-driver-issues-envy-15m-ee0013dx/m-p/7790082/highl...

The file for the driver should be sp105744.exe

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.