Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17.3 inch Laptop PC 17-cr0000 (538A1AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

need 5.1 surround sound for my PC listed here.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

5.1 or 7.whatever is built into the DTS or Dolby setting of the playback device

BeemerBiker_0-1711643263425.png

The above shows the output for the fiber optic device that Realtek supports on my Desktop system.

I do not have anything connected  other than a pair of speakers so I cannot get 5.1

I looked at your laptop and you do not have fiber optic or any audio other than two channnel.

However, you do have HDMI and if you connect your HDMI to an A/V receiver / amplifier, it is possible the audio can be sent to the amp to provide 5.1 or 7.whatever and the video can go to a big screen something.  This would only be available if the audio chip (Realtek) was the one that was adding the audio to the HDMI video output.

My HDMI is from my NVidia RTX-2070 and NVidia just provides two channel.

I do not know what audio is available through the HDMI on your laptop.

Bring up the control panel, find "sound" and select the playback tab and see if the HDMI supports DTS or Dolby.

DTS is explained here

You may have some other device such as a bluetooth amp that does DTS or Dolby.  It should show up in the playback tab and you could verify the DTS and Dolby.

Note that the media player can send 5.1 to the amp only if the audio has 5.1.  Some media players you have to select different channels to get DTS and some channels may be different languages or the "directors and actors explaining what you are watching".   Look for a setting on the media player for 5.1 

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you want 5.1 audio probably the best choice is to get a USB sound card. They start from real cheap to very expensive (with DAC)

Examples

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-7-1-USB-Sound-Card/dp/B002LM0U2S/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3QI8ALW1TCIYQ&d...

https://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-x3

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

@iomare that StarTech is nice and has an excellent price.  I wish it did Bluetooth.  They should add that feature.   I have a FOSI 20a  that does 2 channel and supports Bluetooth.  After I got it they released the 2.1 channel version but both of them cost more than that StarTech.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Hi @BeemerBiker 

Yes, it looks good. I actually just built a small HI-FI system in my Home office.

Also used the Fosi AMP BT20A Pro with Bluetooth. I really like the amp. I replaced the 2 op-amp chips with Muses02. Great sound. these Fosi products.

I had 2 Indiana Line speakers (made in Italy) which sound  good.

The amp is attached to a USB DAC Topping DX1 and then to a notebook which I use only for music. Attached a few screens to the notebook around the office so that I can enjoy the music from different positions and easily change the songs...

Actually, the notebook I got for really cheap as it had been run over by a car. (60 Euros) Quite lucky as the screen worked. So fixed the housing by using a "wrapping sticker", and inserted 32GB of RAM and 4TB PCIe NVMe SSD for the music files (FLAC).

Next, I think I will add a subwoofer to get a better bass sound.

The system works well and I was able to keep the cost very low. I have heard other systems that cost 10 times more and do not have a higher quality sound.

All my best wishes for the Holidays,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.