Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 m6 Convertible (Product number: W2K41UAR#ABA )
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I am having problem with audio services in my HP ENVY x360 m6 Convertible. I am facing audio malfunction in following manner:

• When i start computer, audio works but after some time goes on; whether working or laptop is idle; like in 10-15 or 20 minutes, audio stops working completely in all type of applications.
  • When laptop goes to sleep then also mostly audio stops working.
  • When laptop goes to Hibernate, then also audio stops working.

I have tried all type of solutions on Microsoft, HP, other forums in last 6-8 months but nothing works actually. Same problem persists. I also checked and tried these things to check problem but nothing abnormal identified or diagnosed or solved problem

• Tried audio troubleshoot; it cannot identify or solve problem.
  • Checked all audio and related services told by Microsoft and other forums, all normal listed and problem not resolved.
  • Tried clean boot, command prompt commands, checked all services status, roll backed drivers, installed new drives from HP website, updated driver from Microsoft and hp, uninstalled and reinstalled different versions of audio drives; All failed. Audio stops working in a while.
  • Tried different drivers from list in Device Manager but none worked.
  • Installed driver from HP Driver support but same issue persist.
  • Tried other updates from Microsoft; nothing worked.
  • Found lot of similar problems on different forums but find no-one who was able to solve problem.

After every audio malfunction; I have to restart laptop then it starts working but then again after some time stops working.

When i purchased laptop in 2016, it was okay but when i updated Windows 10 and after the updates, it started  problem and now became PIA. I am so much frustrated and wasted months solving it but nothing really works. I did not change any hardware, settings, done maintenance work, Operating System or installed new softwares etc which could or caused such problem.

I think there is some compatibility of audio with Windows 10 and Conexant SmartAudio HD.

HP Customer Support please help solving this problem, as i have tried everything now; but all in vain.

My LAPTOP, AUDIO and Operating System Details are as following:

HP LAPTOP DETAILS 

Product name: HP ENVY x360 m6 Convertible
Product number: W2K41UAR#ABA
Software build ID: 16WW2BMT605#SABA#DABA
Motherboard ID: 81AC
Feature byte: 5F6b7K7N7R7W86aBapaqasauawbVbhbpbzcbdUdXdpdq.Ma
OS version: ML
Service ID: 20170118
BIOS: F.60-06/02/2020
Keyboard revision: 53.27
Total memory:12.00 GB
Processor name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6560U CPU @ 2.20GHz

AUDIO DETAILS (FROM DEVICE MANAGER):

These 2 types lited

• Conexant Smart Audio HD
  • Intel(R) Display Audio

Conexant Smart Audio HD Hardware IDs

• HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_2008&SUBSYS_103C81AC&REV_1001
  • HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_2008&SUBSYS_103C81AC

Operating System Details

Version: 1909

Installed On: 1 Jul 2019

OS Build: 18363.1016

FROM SYSTEM INFO:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer HP
System Model HP ENVY x360 m6 Convertible
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU W2K41UAR#ABA
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6560U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2208 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.60, 02/06/2020
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 53.27
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer HP
BaseBoard Product 81AC
BaseBoard Version 53.27
Platform Role Mobile

Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.752"

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 11.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 6.41 GB

Total Virtual Memory 20.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 15.2 GB
Page File Space 8.94 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Saadlahori

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

If the issue persists please perform a System Recovery. Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue and looking at the forums dozens of other people are as well.

Can someone please confirm that HP support was able to fix the problem with these software suggestions:

• rolling back the driver
  • reinstalling windows
  • running HP's support tool.

I haven't seen any customers confirm a fix. I would like to know if a working fix exists or if I should return the laptop to the store.

HP Recommended

@MadMacedonian

There is no guarantee right now but performing an HP System Recovery should work if it is a software issue

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried this method as well as many other listed by your website & others and it does not fix the problem

The Window Update has itself caused this problem and roll back does not work.

I have myself found a solution to that now.

HP Recommended

It is not a solution because it will revert to 2016 state and still Window 10 needs to be updated due to security issues / patches.

Plus almost every 2nd person has this issue ; so it is not a specific issue pertaining to my laptop only. 

HP Recommended

Working Audio DriversWorking Audio DriversWorking Audio DriversWorking Audio Drivers

Hello MadMacedonian!

Dear, I am just able to fix this issue in this week on my own. Nothing on internet / HP and other forums could solve this problem in last 8-10 months which was a PIA. 

Process is rather very simple.

Reason of Problem:   The audio problem is caused due to failure / shutting down / crashing of Audio Driver Services in background. The issue is caused due to Windows 10 Updates and installation of non-compatible / bugged drivers. As you updated the windows, window driver support automatically update the drivers which are actually bugged and not fully compatible with hardware and OS.

Any rollback or installation of Windows etc would not fix the problem. You will just need to install the HP compatible and tested drivers.

How to Diagnose the Audio Problem

1. Click Window Start Button and type Device Manager in search.
  2. Open Device manager and scroll down to 'Sound, Video and Game controller' Option.
  3. Press + Button / Tab and it will list the type of drivers installed for audio.
  4. In case of my laptop model there are two drivers listed : 'Conexant SmartAudio HD'  & 'Intel(R) Display Audio'. The problem is with this main Audio Driver 'Conexant SmartAudio HD'' which needs to be fixed.
  5. Double click on 'Conexant SmartAudio HD'' to open it. Then go Driver Tab and see what Driver Date and Version is listed. Then in same tab click Driver Details to see the driver files and location. If it is not listing several files from C:\Program Files \Conexant & C;Windows\System32 (Almost 39x Files installed for me), then proper HP / OEM Compatible audio drivers are not installed. Please refer to the pictures attached to see the compatible Windows Audio Driver.pngWindows Audio Driver1.pngdriver version and files working for this laptop version. 
  6. In my case the driver was updated / installed always by Windows and when i tried to install driver from list; 3x window driver versions were shown. Whether i roll back, delete or reinstall or try any version from list or internet it did not work.
  7. Now Click on Details Tab and select 'Hardware IDs' in Property combo  drop down box. Note down both the IDs and save in note pad for reference. Also note your driver version and details.

How to Solve the Audio Problem

1. Go to HP Website Driver Support. Enter your product model / serial number and find the updated drivers from HP. There Download Audio Driver pack and save. Do not install it right now.
  2. Repeat Step 1 to 4 listed above.
  3. In Device Manager Select Sound, Video and Game controller -> Conexant SmartAudio HD
  4. Right Click on Conexant SmartAudio HD (in my case, your may be a bit different) and Uninstall this driver.
  5. Restart Computer.
  6. After restart, install the Audio Driver downloaded from HP Website as told in step 1. It will take some time to install.
  7. After installation, restart your laptop.
  8. After restart, check and your audio problem will be solved hopefully.
  9. If your problem is solved, note driver versions / Hardware IDs and files as explained above. Don't update audio drivers yourself and also don't let Windows to automatically update your audio driver. In case after some days problem arises again. Compare the drivers you installed to fix with one at that moment. If windows has somehow updated audio drivers; repeat the process again to install proper compatible drivers.
  10. This procedure resolved my audio problem persisted for last 8-10 months.

In case it solves your problem; report it here and give thumbs up so that others can also fix in same manner.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.