Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought my HP spectrum 13 it's been a few months, and for 2 days I noticed that the audio bang & olufsen does not work as usual.

The first few seconds (i.e. on youtube video - music) are ok, and then the sound changes. I do not know how to explain, but it becomes like the sound of an old radio.

I restarted the pc, driver and finally I reseted the window ... nothing changes. Is there a solution to this problem that I could do myself?
Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Masha3

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

I would suggest you contact our phone support:

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

* Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Masha3

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

Flower_Bud is at your service.

As I understand, you're having issues with Audio on your notebook,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: https://hp.care/2aSlUnS

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

When was the last time it worked fine?

Were there any hardware/software changes made? 

Have you tried playing music from different applications? 

Have you tried a different web browser?

How is the sound quality
on headphones?

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

Use the troubleshooting tool in Windows

The audio troubleshooting tool in Windows can automatically fix common audio recording and audio playback problems with your computer.

Run the troubleshooting tool using the following steps:

1. In Windows, type find and fix audio into Search, or right-click the speaker icon  in the taskbar and select Troubleshoot sound problems.
  2. Select Find and fix audio playback problems or Find and fix audio recording problems from the Search results.
  3. Click Next.
  4. Select the device you want to troubleshoot and click Next.
  5. Wait while the troubleshooter detects problems and makes changes (or prompts you to make changes).
  6. When the troubleshooter is done, the Troubleshooting has completed page is displayed, listing any problems found and what changes were made to the computer.

NOTE: For detailed information about the troubleshooting, click View detailed information in the troubleshooter window.

Click Close.

7. If a recommended action is displayed, select Apply this fix, or Skip this step to continue to search for other problems.

If the audio problem has not been resolved, continue to the next step.

Restoring the audio driver in HP Recovery Manager

To restore the audio driver in HP Recovery Manager on a computer that came with Windows 10 installed, complete the following steps:

1. In Windows, search for and open Recovery Manager.
  2. Click Reinstall drivers and/or applications.
  3. Select the audio driver in the list, and then click Install.
  4. Wait for the driver to reinstall. When the installation is complete, click OK.
  5. Close HP Recovery Manager and then restart your computer.
  6. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after reinstalling the driver, try updating the driver using Device Manager.

Updating the audio driver using Device Manager

Make sure the audio device is enabled and then update the audio driver using Device Manager as follows:

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  2. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.
  3. If a sound device is listed with a down arrow , the device is disabled. Right-click the sound device name and select Enable to re-enable the device.
  4. With the sound device enabled, right-click the sound device and select Update Driver Software.
  5. Click Search automatically for updated driver software.
  6. Windows checks for and installs any updated drivers found. The window displays whether the computer already has the latest available driver or if Windows was able to successfully update the audio driver.
  7. If a window opens asking you to restart the computer, restart the computer.
  8. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after updating the driver, continue to the next step.

If you completed these steps and the latest driver was already installed, use the following steps to uninstall and then reinstall the driver:

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

2. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.

3. Right-click the sound device and select Uninstall.

4. Restart the computer to reinstall the driver.

5. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after reinstalling the driver, continue to the next step.

Reset BIOS to defaults (notebook PCs):

1.  After pressing the power button, repeatedly press the Esc key to enter the Startup Menu, and then press F10 to enter the BIOS Setup.
  2. In the BIOS Setup utility, select the Exit tab.
  3. Select Load Setup Defaults.
  4. Select Save Changes and Exit.
  5. Press Esc and then Enter to exit the BIOS. The default settings are restored, the BIOS Setup utility closes, and the computer starts into Windows.

If the audio issue persists, continue with the next step.

Run the Component Test for audio issues

Run a Component Test from the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows tool to identify audio playback issues.

1. In Windows, search for and open HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows.

If the software is not available on your computer, go to HP Hardware Diagnostics (in English) , and then click the download button under the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows section.

2. On the Main Menu, click Component Tests.
  3. Click Audio, and then click Audio Playback Test.
  4. Click Run once, and then follow the on-screen instructions.
  5. Evaluate the test results.
    • If the test failed, write down the failure ID (24-digit code), and then Contact HP Customer Support .

• If the test passed, continue troubleshooting the issue.

Update the BIOS (notebook PCs): Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2w9R6cc.

Restore or reset your computer

If you have tried the troubleshooting steps and your sound is still not working properly, try restoring your computer. Computers that had functioning sound in the past can be restored back to that point. Use the steps in

Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 😎 to restore all the system files back to a time when the sound was working properly.

Alternatively, reinstall the operating system by performing a push-button reset. For instructions, see Microsoft Push-Button Reset (Windows 10).

Let me know how this goes,

For I shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed,

And your device is up and running again,

Have a great day 🙂

Cheers 🙂

HP Recommended

Hello,
Thank you for your reply. I tried everything you wrote, but the problem is not solved.

It seems that it is a hardware issue.

I hope i am wrong 🙂 

HP Recommended

@Masha3

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

I would suggest you contact our phone support:

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

* Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

HP Recommended

What is the product number of your device?  

- 2PM50EA

When was the last time it worked fine?

- a few days ago

Were there any hardware/software changes made? 

- no

Have you tried playing music from different applications? 

- yes

Have you tried a different web browser?

- yes

How is the sound quality 
on headphones?

- good, i did not mention the problem when the headphones are used

It seems that the problem is related to bang & olufsen system.. When starting a sound playing (no matter the source), after a few seconds, the sound loose the Volume 

HP Recommended

@Masha3

Thanks for the information,

In this case, I would suggest you contact our phone support and check for the available option to fix the issue.

If you need further assistance, please feel free to reach out to us 🙂

Cheers 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.