Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Power 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

The audio driver stops working when there is no sound playing, usually after about 15 seconds. This happens when not using headphones as well but it takes about a second to respond and on the bright side, audio doesn't play until the driver goes online again, unlike when using headphones. With headphones, it freezes the computer for 2 seconds, then responds 5 seconds later. I know, it's not a vital issue but it's still a huge annoyance, especially when editing audio, which is what I do mostly. If there is a solution for it, other than playing a silent audio in the background, please let me know.

吹雪月

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@吹雪月
Welcome to HP Forums,  

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

I see that your experiencing issue with Audio playback, 
Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• When was the last time it worked fine?
  • Have you tried with alternate earphone or headset? (Bluetooth earphone)
  • Did this happen after a recent window or software update?

While you respond to that, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix:

Use the troubleshooting tool in Windows

The audio troubleshooting tool in Windows can automatically fix common audio recording and audio playback problems with your computer. Run the troubleshooting tool using the following steps:

• In Windows, type find and fix audio into Search, or right-click the speaker icon https://hp.dezide.com/data/pictures/hp-external/web_author/guid-a7774d00-7a27-4b96-ab1c-b2f8a7083ba0-low_86905_en.jpg in the taskbar and select Troubleshoot sound problems.
  • Select Find and fix audio playback problems or Find and fix audio recording problems from the Search results.
  • Click Next.
  • Select the device you want to troubleshoot and click Next.
  • Wait while the troubleshooter detects problems and makes changes (or prompts you to make changes).
  • When the troubleshooter is done, the Troubleshooting has completed page is displayed, listing any problems found and what changes were made to the computer.
  • Click Close.
  • If a recommended action is displayed, select Apply this fix.

Restoring the audio driver in HP Recovery Manager:

1. In Windows, search for and open Recovery Manager.
  2. Click Reinstall drivers and/or applications.
  3. Select the audio driver in the list, and then click Install.
  4. Wait for the driver to reinstall. When the installation is complete, click OK.
  5. Close HP Recovery Manager and then restart your computer.
  6. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after reinstalling the driver, try updating the driver using Device Manager.

Updating the audio driver using Device Manager:

Make sure the audio device is enabled and then update the audio driver using Device Manager as follows:

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  2. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.
  3. If a sound device is listed with a down arrow, the device is disabled. Right-click the sound device name and select Enable to re-enable the device.
  4. With the sound device enabled, right-click the sound device and select Update Driver Software.
  5. Click Search automatically for updated driver software.
  6. Windows checks for and installs any updated drivers found. The window displays whether the computer already has the latest available driver or if Windows was able to successfully update the audio driver.
  7. If a window opens asking you to restart the computer, restart the computer.
  8. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after updating the driver, continue to the next step.

If you completed these steps and the latest driver was already installed, use the following steps to uninstall and then reinstall the driver:

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  2. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.
  3. Right-click the sound device and select Uninstall.
  4. Restart the computer to reinstall the driver.
  5. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after reinstalling the driver, continue to the next step.

BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello.

To answer your questions bluntly first:

It never worked fine.
Yes, same issue.
No, it has been the same ever since I've bought the device, since v1803, and never changed throught many updates and formats.

To the possible "fixes" you've mentioned, none of them will work. As for my BIOS, it's already latest, F16. Device came with F13 and was still the same.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@吹雪月

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue.

Let's perform a component test to isolate the hardware failure.

To run the test, click Audio, and then click Run once. Choose either the speakers or the headphones. When asked, enter the number of notes you heard.

1. In Windows, search for HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows and select Run as administrator.

If this app is not on your computer, download the latest version from the HP Hardware Diagnostics website.

selecting Run as administrator

2. On the main menu, click Component Tests.

3. Click the plus sign next to each component to expand the selection.

Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.

Component tests menu

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello.

Look mate, I appreciate the effort but I'd like you to pay more attention: I'm not saying that I have no audio nor the audio cuts off. I'm trying to point out that if it's left idle for a short time, the driver shuts down and then takes time to start back up. It was the same on the exact day I've bought the device. There is no hardware issue/failure nor anything on the Windows. If it's not a solvable issue, then at least tell me that so we both, mostly you, don't have to waste time.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@吹雪月

Thank you for posting back. 

As you've mentioned the audio will not respond correctly when system resume from idle mode, this happens due to software driver related issue.However, you've performed relevant troubleshooting steps and figured out it is not a hardware related issue. Hence, I'm sending out a Private message to assist you with the next course of action, Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, I seem to have the exact same problems. I have tried the fixes, but nothing seems to work. I believe it's the audio driver itself that needs to be fixed.  @Echo_Lake   

HP Recommended

Hopefully Realtek, or HP, would release an update for Windows v1809 and finally solve this issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.