Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 m6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A few days ago my audio muted and won't unmute.  I can increase the volume via buttons or the audio settings slider but the volume immediately drops to zero and mutes again.  I saw a few other posts that showed similar issues, but I can't seem to find one where the issue was resolved.

I've followed through on the steps from the HP Virtual Assistant without resolution.  

1. I reset the BIOS to the default.
  2. I checked the Audio Test with the HP Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI)
    • In that diagnostics the sound works, but after signing into Windows the issue persists.
  3. I updated the BIOS.
  4. I reinstalled Windows 10.

What else can I do to resolve the issue?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Which driver and driver version you are using your laptop model. 

Check the drivers from original device manufacturer website (Ex : Realtek or Dolby) . 

If you have own hp audio system then you have to inform directly to hp support team or call to hp USA technical team and tell them the issue you are facing with hp laptop. 

Note : Hp coomunity staff they never give solution for your issue. What i mean is they will inform to you the same procedure that they following nearly 10 years (Ex : check the sound area , do the settings in control pannel , whether your audio recording is working or not , better you run the f2 test run , or contact the hp support agent in your region or place, the joke is hp have a support agent in your  region or place but when you take your laptop to hp agent the problem will sort it out but after 1 week later you'll have the another issue it's automatically come after you visit the hp agent and the new issues are continue untill your 1 year warranty expired. After 1 year later any issue will comes then you have to pay money. For that repair or any parts change cost you can buy the new laptop. Because the hp technician easily they will tell you this parts are out of stock or not in the world market we have to give some speciall request to manufacture company. 

I tell you before you buy the laptop check wheter laptop specifications are available in their websites , check whether they have the drivers for your model (40% of hp laptop they don't have their own model drivers).

Check which laptop battery is best ( hp 1005g1 and 1TB laptop battery is worse in the world). Check the which laptops are best in your region (Ex: in Asia Asus or lenovo is best for all rounder).

HP Recommended

The driver is Conexant ISST Audio Version 9.0.160.51 released 3/29/2019.  Conexant doesn't issue drivers from their website so I've downloaded the most recent version from HP which is what other forums suggest.  

I tried several different drivers without success.

HP Recommended

Did update your windows 10 20h2 ? 

If yes then you don't need to worry, because current windows 10 20h2 update have issue with old driver versions. You have to wait until windows release other monthly update. 

If it's possible just reset your hp laptop to factory reset. Then it's automatically change every thing in your laptop. Before that backup your files and documents with pen drive or extrenal hard drive.

HP Recommended

My Windows update page says "Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way" so I don't have the 10 20h2 update yet.  

I'm going to give up and disable the audio driver to get rid of the volume bar and use the computer without sound.  I think the only thing left that I can do is hope a future Windows update fixes it.

HP Recommended

Better use Windows basic Audio driver. Check whether it's working or not. 

If possible complete you wipe your hdd / ssd and reinstall the windows 10 again. (Always backup your files and software).

HP Recommended

Thanks for the continued suggestions.  I tried all the drivers that were preloaded on the computer, one of which was the Windows basic driver.  None of them worked. 

I'm going to wait for a future Windows update to see if something starts working.  If I have to reload everything after a full wipe I would rather get a new PC and start loading stuff on a device I know will work. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.