Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

During video conference some are finding it difficult to hear me. Is there any way to boost the volume? I have done all the diagnostic checks.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@NoahBoah

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

• Step 1: Check the microphone hardware
  • Step 2: Update the audio driver
  • Step 3: Run the Audio Check in HP Support Assistant
  • Step 4: Use the Troubleshooting tool
  • Step 5: Configure the sound settings in Windows
  • Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03421813 to complete the troubleshooting steps.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your help. I have carried out troubleshooting steps. However, I could not find the option under step 3: Checking volume and mute settings for "Microphone Boost".

In my previous laptop this option provided the desired volume, but HP Envy doesn't have that!!!

I have several video conferences through out the day and it annoying when I keep getting told that my colleagues can't hear me. If speak straight in front of the mic then it is OK but I have to be virtually on top of the laptop to be heard. If I look down at my notes, or move slightly to one side then the mic doesn't pick up my speech.

Please help

HP Recommended

@NoahBoah

Thank you for posting back. 

Let's try this:

• Right click on speaker icon and open volume mixer.
  • Right-click on the active microphone and select the available option.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you once again. Here is the image of the volume mixer

Volumemixer 2020-10-29 092851.png

HP Recommended

@NoahBoah

On the computer, go to Settings > Troubleshoot > Recording audio > Run the troubleshooter 

Check the result.

Have you tried different apps like Skype, Zoom, Facebook to check if the issue persists? 

Have you tried using external microphones and check?

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for taking time to provide support.

That doesn't seem ta make any difference, 

I do use Zoom, Skype, Microsoft Teams but I think the problem is generic. Mic is OK when I am right in front of it and even at an acute angle my voice doesn't get picked up. For a lap top having a high spec I am bitterly disappointed with the inbuilt mic. I don't have an external mic unfortunately.

HP Recommended

@NoahBoah

This could be an issue with the Sound card or the Internal microphone. Let us run a hardware test:

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. Perform System Test > Extensive test. Share the result on your next post.

keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for suggestion Kumar307

All test came up successfully!!

I have decided to send the laptop back so not too concerned now with the issue. Considering that this is premium product that has an excellent camera, good sound but very poor microphone just doesn't quite seem consistent. 

HP Recommended

@NoahBoah

I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team.

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region for further assistance. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.