Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
COMPAQ PRESSARIO CQ60-211DX NOTEBOOK PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

CONEXANT HD SMARTAUDIO 221 is not giving me headphones capability.  Speakers fine.  Headphones option not even in volume mixer.  Headphones are new.  Computer is new.  Updated drivers and done everything i could find online to do. Nothing has worked. Please Help!

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@TONYTONY1

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

I understand that the Headphones option is not available in Volume mixer and it's a brand new Headphones

I'll try my best to help

Are you using the COMPAQ PRESSARIO CQ60-211DX NOTEBOOK PC with Windows 7? May I know since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you try a different headset to isolate the issue further?

I suggest your reinstall the Audio Driver from Device Manager

- Select the Start  button, type Device Manager, and select it from the list of results.
- Look for Audio Adapters and expand the List
- Look for Audio driver then right-click it, and select Update Driver.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
- If Windows doesn't find a new driver, you can try looking for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.
- If these steps don't work, try reinstalling the driver: Open Device Manager, right-click the Audio driver and select Uninstall. Restart your PC and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

Also download the BIOS from this Link: https://hp.care/2lenIcN

Have you tried this Headphones on another Windows 7 computer?

Keep me posted

Thank you 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" 

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey KrazyToad!  Thanks for replying.  Yes it is a COMPAQ PRESSARIO CQ60-211DX NOTEBOOK PC with Windows 7.  Just got it about a week ago.  It's not a brand new computer.  It's used with windows 7 reinstalled.  From a local company around here that I've done business with for years.  Since it's just a sound software issue I've been trying to see if I could just fix, update or whatever I can do here instead of having to take it back in for them to do what I can probably do right here at home.   The sound works fine. Speakers good. No complaints about anything else.   But just recently tried headphones and nothing.  Speakers keep working but no headphones.  Checked volume mixer and did not see a headphones or speaker/headphones option like in my other HP computer which uses windows 10 and Realtek HD audio.    I want to keep my COMPAQ using windows 7.  I checked online for help on what to do.  I updated the drivers. But didn't do what you said to do below. I'll do what you said to do. And I'll download the BIOS like you said.  I'm a computer novice so I don't really know what all this means. But I will do what you say and get back to you ASAP.  I was also wondering if I could uninstall Conexant and replace with Realtek.  I'll get back to you ASAP.  Thanks KrazyToad.

HP Recommended

Oh..let me also add that my headphones are new and work just fine in my other PC.

HP Recommended

@TONYTONY1

Please trying updating the drivers from Device Manager and also the BIOS. Keep me posted if the issue persists.

Unfortunately the Notebook came with Conexant High-Definition SmartAudio and you cannot install Realtek drivers.

You can also download the drivers from our Website: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/Compaq-Presario-CQ60-Notebook-PC-series/3837670/mod...

Thanks 🙂

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey KrazyToad! Sorry for the delayed response. Been kind of backed up over here lately. Ok...updated the driver software from device manager. Said I had the latest updates available. Also downloaded the BIOS and did that as instructed. Also my Windows 7 64bit is up to date. So as far as my OS, sound driver software and BIOS...everything is current and up to date. Still no headphones.

When I open Volume Mixer it reads:

VOLUME MIXER – Speakers (Conexant HD SmartAudio 221)

Device                 Applications

Speakers           Systems Sounds             (Whatever browser I'm using comes up under Applications also                                                                                        when I'm online)

Thanks for helping me KrazyToad.

HP Recommended

@TONYTONY1

Thanks for the reply,

It looks like you were interacting with @KrazyToad, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. 

I'm Raj1788 & I'm at your service. 

Appreciate all your time and efforts.

Use this link: https://hp.care/2llaLy3 and follow step1, step3 step5 to step8.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Ok Thanks Raj.  Thanks for your help and reply.  I'm replying back to you at midnight Friday night. Sorry about my delayed responses.  I'm working all the time and this computer I'm seeking audio help with I actually bought for my mom.  So I grab it when it's most convenient for her.   Tomorrow I will have time to grab it and do exactly what you said.  I will definitely get back to you ASAP! Thanks again Raj.

HP Recommended

@TONYTONY1

It looks like you were interacting with @Raj1788, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Barachiel & I'm at your service.

Thank you for the replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Barachiel! Thanks for your help. Been trying to access this page    https://hp.care/2llaLy3     Raj told me to but it's not loading for me. My computer and connection is okay. Wondering if the page is down for some reason. I'll keep trying and get back to you ASAP. Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.