Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 14
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I plug an HDMI cable into my laptop, I get a video signal but no audio.
The HD Audio option does not appear in the playback/devices selection, Speaker out is the only option.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@RogerBennett 

Where do you plug to ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

The HDMI cable plugs into the laptops only HDMI port.
The other end of the cable goes into a Denon receiver.
The cable is known to be working, connecting other devices using that cable give me audio and video.

Connected the laptop, I only get video.

There is no option for HD Audio as an output device in the Sound Settings.

HP Recommended

@RogerBennett 

Please check Denon receiver does it have option to accept HDMI from a computer ?

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I don't think the receiver has an option to select the input type. Its just a HDMI 1.4a Input. 

In the past it has connected to an Digital TV box, XBox, BD-player, and Nintendo Switch, and they all have sound. I haven't had to select any options for those.
It can connect to desktop PC video card, but I don't think that has audio.

When connected to the HP laptop, the video signal works but the laptop still uses its own speakers as the audio out and doesn't give me the option to select the HD audio and use HDMI. 

HP Recommended

@RogerBennett wrote:

... When connected to the HP laptop, the video signal works but the laptop still uses its own speakers as the audio out and doesn't give me the option to select the HD audio and use HDMI. 

@RogerBennett 

Can you see the receiver on the Output devices list ? If

1.  Yes, please select it,
  2.  No, computer does not know the receiver has speaker (this does make sense) to transfer sound to. You need some sorts of software/driver from Denon to tell your computer: yes, I don't have speakers, but send sound to me, I can process later.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Obviously Denon doesn't write and distribute drivers for PC hardware.
Thanks for your help.
I'll look elsewhere for the solution.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.