Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Chromebook 14a-na0023cl
Chrome OS

Help! My parents purchased 2 new Chromebooks for my daughters for Christmas. One of them has developed an issue with the internal mic. It will not record any sound. I have read several threads about this, and it appears to be a known issue going back some time. I have changed to the Beta channel on Chrome OS, but that did not change anything. The microphone worked on Christmas Day when we set up Google Assistant, but as of right now, it's dead. Any help is greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@freema22

I reviewed your post and I understand that the microphone is not working on the computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open your Chromebook settings by clicking the gear icon in the system tray.
  2. Open the Privacy and security section.
  3. Click Site settings and you'll see a list of individual things that can be changed.
  4. Scroll down the list to find Camera or Microphone. They each have their own settings page, but adjusting things is exactly the same for each.

Chrome Site Settings

5. At the top of the window that opens you can choose which device you're changing settings for. If you have a separate mic or camera plugged into your Chromebook, make sure to adjust the settings for both it and the built-in one.

6. Next, you see a switch that says Ask before accessing (recommended). If this switch is on it will be blue and when a website wants to use your mic or camera it will prompt you with a dialog popup that asks for permission before going any further. This is probably what you want to happen, so make sure it's switched on.
  7. Next is the Block list and the Allow list. These are websites that you have previously blocked or allowed access to your mic and/or camera. You can remove websites from either list by clicking the X on their list entry.

Chrome Camera Settings

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was able to chat with HP Support via Facebook Messenger. The rep made the same suggestions without any change to the problem. They sent me a shipper to return the laptop to HP for service, and the day before the shipper arrived, the microphone started working again. My research online suggests that it is a software issue. The support rep told me to hold on to the shipper for the next 30 days in case it stops working again.

HP Recommended

@freema22

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.