Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre X360 (Y4P51AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is happening on my new (1 month old) Spectre X360 (7th gen Intel).
And I have tried with 3 different headsets that all work fine on smartphones.
Problem: When I plug the headset in the combo jack, the headset speakers work fine but the microphone is not recognized and does not show up in the list of "recording devices". Only the internal microphone shows up and works.
So far, I have uninstalled and reinstalled all the audio devices visible in the Device Manager and rebooted many times.
I have installed the latest (as of today, May 14 2017) BIOS, Chipset and Audio drivers.
I have played with all the B&O controller settings and all the RealTek mixer and microphone settings I could find.
I have read multiple postings (on this forum and others) but none of the proposed solutions is relevant (no, i do not need a jack splinter) or works for me.
The most interesting idea I found so far is that some RealTek drivers default settings assume that a "headset" is speakers only and will therefore not enable the microphone. But I have not been able to find that setting in the Realtek driver options.

Any idea?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Philippejj1,

Good Day.   Thank you for stopping by the HP forums. I reviewed the post regarding assistance with Heasdset microphone not working on your computer. I will be glad to assist you here. 🙂

Superb description and splendid diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

I would require more information regarding this.

• Please provide the computer’s model#
  • Did you try the tap test in audio settings for the headset microphone?

For a start please try these steps:

• Right-click on the speaker icon on the lower right corner of the taskbar.
  • Then please select recording devices. Please select the Headset Mic option
  • Then tap the Lid near the top gently several times next to where the webcam is located and check if the microphone bars respond to the taps and receive inputs.
  • If they do then it should work with a driver uninstall and reinstall.
  • Please make sure that the headset Mic is set to default and enabled in properties option.

Then please perform these steps from device manager.

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers. Check the box that says delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios, chipset and audio drivers from this link: http://hp.com/drivers  please select the country and follow the on-screen instructions.

Then check if this does the trick for you.

If the issue continues, please follow all the steps from this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04474731  for troubleshooting headset related problems. Although these steps are for windows 8, the steps are relevant for Windows 10 also.

Please check if the internal Microphone is working and perform he relevant steps from this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03421813  to troubleshoot the issue

If the issue still continues, then the problem is hardware related and the computer needs to be serviced by contacting Hp technical support.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services is taken care of by the manufacturer’s warranty

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please.

Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshooting. Instead, I am giving you more resources and information to deal with the situation better.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂 HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Philippejj1,

Good Day.   Thank you for stopping by the HP forums. I reviewed the post regarding assistance with Heasdset microphone not working on your computer. I will be glad to assist you here. 🙂

Superb description and splendid diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

I would require more information regarding this.

• Please provide the computer’s model#
  • Did you try the tap test in audio settings for the headset microphone?

For a start please try these steps:

• Right-click on the speaker icon on the lower right corner of the taskbar.
  • Then please select recording devices. Please select the Headset Mic option
  • Then tap the Lid near the top gently several times next to where the webcam is located and check if the microphone bars respond to the taps and receive inputs.
  • If they do then it should work with a driver uninstall and reinstall.
  • Please make sure that the headset Mic is set to default and enabled in properties option.

Then please perform these steps from device manager.

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers. Check the box that says delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios, chipset and audio drivers from this link: http://hp.com/drivers  please select the country and follow the on-screen instructions.

Then check if this does the trick for you.

If the issue continues, please follow all the steps from this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04474731  for troubleshooting headset related problems. Although these steps are for windows 8, the steps are relevant for Windows 10 also.

Please check if the internal Microphone is working and perform he relevant steps from this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03421813  to troubleshoot the issue

If the issue still continues, then the problem is hardware related and the computer needs to be serviced by contacting Hp technical support.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services is taken care of by the manufacturer’s warranty

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please.

Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshooting. Instead, I am giving you more resources and information to deal with the situation better.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂 HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The 2nd set of instruction did it.

Looks like it has to be done in order (delete drivers *THEN* update BIOS, chipset, etc...)

• Then restart the computer and update the bios, chipset and audio drivers from this link: http://hp.com/drivers  please select the country and follow the on-screen instructions

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi @Philippejj1,

I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. I genuinely hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time to come. It has been an absolute privilege to have shared this platform with you.Going by the troubleshooting and copious diagnosis and investigations conducted by you, I am sure Sherlock Holmes couldn't have done any better. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Do take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead.:)

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.