Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy x360 (13-y023cl)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Got this new laptop from Costco. Everything is good except the audio would stop working randomly. 

In Device Manager when it is working I have the following:

Under "Sound, video and game controllers":

• Conexant ISST Audio
  • Intel(R) Display Audio

Under "Audio inputs and outputs "

• Microphone Array (Conexant ISST Audio)
  • Conexant ISST Audio

When it is NOT working the Conexant ISST Audio device s missing from "Audio inputs and outputs". Everything else appears the same. That device appears to spontaneously disappear.

There is a similar post: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Conexant-audio-driver-installs-and-works-then-randomly/...

but when I tried to follow the solution I am not able to find "High Definition Audio Device"

I am really to return the laptop back to Costco if I cannot find a solution. Thanks.

61 REPLIES 61
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try downloading and installing the latest audio driver for your system and see if the problem persists. You can go into device manager and right-click on audio device and click on uninstall. (You most likely will need to reboot) Then install the driver you have downoaded from here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-envy-13-y000-x360-convertible-pc/12499...

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

I tried remove the driver / device. It asked for a reboot and after reboot it automatically re-installed the device / driver!

After this I still see this problem. Anyone else experiences this? Maybe it is defective hardware.

Also, it seems what is on the HP driver download site is exactly the same driver version as what I have on my laptop.

-Tony

HP Recommended

I am at the same place. It keeps going away.  When I reboot, it sometimes prompts me to reinstall.  I'll be looking for an answer on this one or the otherwise very nice laptop is going back...

HP Recommended

I have tried installing older version of Conexant audio driver and it seems to address the problem. HOWEVER, the sound quality and volume are much worse when using older version of driver. I am pretty convinced the latest version of driver is BUGGY. I hope HP will issue a new patch real soon. Otherwise, many people including myself are going to return the notebook. This  is very unfortunate as this laptop is otherwise a nice one!

HP Recommended

Same happens here with my probook 440 G4. HP Support provides a solution with downloading an update which unfortunately not works. I am not good in this, just want to have a Notebook that works ..

HP Recommended

The only thing that is working for me is to reinstall the drivers every time they go away. Not a perfect solution, but workable for now.

HP Recommended

@samulek wrote:

Same happens here with my probook 440 G4. HP Support provides a solution with downloading an update which unfortunately not works. I am not good in this, just want to have a Notebook that works ..

Same situation as samulek, but with a HP ProBook 470 G4. I'd like to reiterate your more than logical expectation: I just want to have a laptop thats works... especially beeing a simple user!

HP Recommended

One month ago I bought an HP Envy X360 at the Microsoft Store....during that month I lost my audio driver at least a dozen times. I spent an hour of wasted time with HP Support who downloaded and re-installed the same updated audio driver I had already installed. The tech also made some power management changes....absolutely did not fix the problem. I lost the driver 3 times in the 4 days after that session.

Yesterday I was working on a document and the machine locked up (overheated, perhaps???), and then after I got it to reboot....the audio driver disappeared once again.  So I took it back to the Microsoft Store. They exchanged it for a new machine, figuring there must be a hardware issue. Interestingly, though, when I got to the store simply waking the laptop back up brought back the driver.

This morning (14 hours after receiving my BRAND NEW HP Envy X360 I lost my audio driver!!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY! 

So I closed the lid and then re-opened it and....now my driver is back and the red X over the audio is gone.  What a joke! 

I guess this is just a daily practice. Whenever the red X randomly appears over my audio icon, either reboot or close the lid and put the machine to sleep and then wake it back up. That's great when I am in the middle of a presentation. "Hey, everybody, look how amazing my brand new HP laptop is...please wait, while I reboot in the middle of this meeting so I can get my audio back...." Actually, that scenario happened a week ago. In a meeting with 10 people my audio disappeared...had to reboot during the meeting. I'm sure my Apple friends think this is hilarious and wonder why I am still using HP/Microsoft.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the exact same problem like you, brought HP ENVY x360 13t Touchscreen 2-in-1 Laptop - Intel Core i7 - QHD+ laptop from costco.com, arrived 15 days later. Connexant ISST intaral audio speaker disappers intermittently, after few hors of use, do not see it in playback devices, the only way to get it back is rebooting. Had chatted with hp support 2 times, both times, they uninstalled , rebooted, reinstalled the same driver, the problem still persists. It is frustrating, if the issue does not resolve I will need to return it. If you find any solution, please let me know.

VK

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.