Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

During Skype and Team calls the people on the other end all complain about bad, crackling sound quality. However, on my side all sound is perfect. Also, when I do the system checks with the build-in tools or the on-line Audio Diagnostics from HP everything is perfect.

The only strange issue I notice is that when I go to Settings-Audio and test my microphone, the volume indicator for the input level is minimal. This suggests there might be an issue with a AGC setting, such that the signal-to-noise ratio of the outgoing audio is very bad.

Any suggestions how to verify and preferably solve this?

Kind regards, Pieter

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Pieter2020

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Toad, thanks for the suggestions.

I installed the Support Assistance - was apparently already installed, now on my Task bar - and had all drivers and BIOS updated. Then ran Fix Audio Issues which again gave message all was perfect. However, my counterparts tell me the sound quality of my microphone in Skype and Teams is still awful.

I personally suspect it is a hardware problem, somewhere in the microphone ADC. Hopefully "only" a bad AGC setting, such that the SNR is very bad and noise is too strongly amplified. Do you have tips to do these hardware checks? Is the audio board (from Bang & Olufsen) a separate PCB? In that case it could simply be replaced. If the audio sub-system is integrated on the main board I have a bigger problem. Please advise.

Cheers, Pieter

HP Recommended

@Pieter2020

Try running the Microphone Test from F2 Diagnostic

- Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the Notebook.
- Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. 
- When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
- On the main menu, click Component Tests and Audio > Microphone

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.