Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

It appears that the Conexant drivers check for the appropriate hardware and will not install without it.  The new 4195dx and my 4101dx use the same drivers for Realtek and Conexant.  No luck :Crying:

Edit: No changes with any of drivers.  Also, if you want to experiment with the drivers, uninstalling them is a pain.  First, go to Advanced System Settings > Hardware > Device Installation Settings and disable everything.  Then go to Device Manager, right-click on the two Sound drivers, click Uninstall, and check the box to uninstall the driver for each.  Then go the Programs and Features and uninstall Realtek I2S audio.  Then reboot, open the task manager with Ctrl-Shift-Esc, go to advanced, kill all the Realtek Audio processes, go to C:\Program Files, delete the Realtek folder, open File Explorer Options (under View) and Show Hidden Folders, then go to C:\ProgramData and delete SRS Labs.  Reboot again and you can try and install whatever drivers you want without interference.  If you even want to get the regular audio driver back, just reinstall the driver using the appropriate download from HP's Support website and reenable Device Installation. 

Edit 2: FYI, the Unknown device on the PCI root is Intel Smart Sound, and the Unknown device on the I2C controller is the Realtek/Conexant DAC. 

Edit 3: After deleteing tons of EXEs and slconfig.xml, I was able to get Intel Smart Sound and Realtek I2S working without any crackling.  Unofrtunately the bass is still muffled so this isn't a viable solution.  Next, I will try nuking all Realtek/Smart Sound files that aren't in System32 to see how that works.  BTW, don't try to force install the Conexant drivers.  Your x360 will BSOD and reboot, but fortunately no damage. 

Edit 4: Nuking all the files sounds like the Enhacements are back on, like stock.  Slconfig.xml modding it is. 

HP Recommended

Thanks, Andrew.

HP Recommended

No problem!  To anyone watching this thread: if I don't post for a while, feel free to nag me to try out more slconfig.xml mods.  I have free time but I'm unmotivated at times. 

HP Recommended

Has anyone received further word from HP Support?  They have ignored my follow-up emails. 

Also, I have bumped into 3 other Spectre x360 owners in my dormitory.  One has no problems, the other has the Wi-Fi reception problem (but was understandably reluctant to let me open it up to reattach the antenna), and the third has the same audio issues that we do.  It's good (in a bad way) to happen to bump into other owners IRL with the same issues. 

Edit: I didn't realize that there is another thread with the same issues!  Here it is.

HP Recommended

Posting here so I can follow this thread too. I'm here from the other thread.

HP Recommended

Here's a post I made at the other thread:

I tried some new drivers from an Asus laptop and Intel NUC.  A NUC driver (or was it windows?) for Smart Sound, combined with a windows driver for Realtek, made audio with no crackling but really quiet bass and distorted highs.  So I'll look at slconfig.xml for that.  Also, I found that Intel Smart Sound Technology is the driver with the DTS Audio Control Panel.  I'm not sure if Realtek or Intel is ultimately responsible for bundling it though. 

It looks like the Conexant chips work on their own and don't need Intel SST. 

[Information in violation of the Rules of Participation removed]

HP Recommended

I think my sound with DTS disabled is fine and I have no problems with it. I did feel the need to let you know however that Nov 11th is veterans' day and they may or may not be off/have shortened hours and staff. Just something to think about. I would love to see the outcome of all of this though. good luck

HP Recommended

Mine is also fine with DTS disabled, but the problem is it doesnt stay off, meaning if you restart your pc or plug in headphones, you then have to reenable and redisable the enhancements manually to keep it off.

This is what ive been doing for the past months since i got the spectre, and to me its a simple problem that should probably have a simple solution. But to my great disabppointment, and after reading all the previous posts, it seems to me that HP is ignoring us completely and its support staff is Ill equipped in handling this situation.

HP Recommended

That's fine for me. I did have something happen tonight for the first time that someone else has mentioned here before. i had DTS off and all of a sudden i was hearing a ton of crackeling. Not just when there was a lot of noise, but rather when there was ANY noise. I'm hoping that it doesn't happen again but we'll see.

EDIT:

It is worth mentioning that i recieve this noise just before updating my BIOS. As i mentioned in the other thread, I'll report back with what happens.

HP Recommended

I was contacted by PM today and was told that this issue has be escalated and is on the radar.  We should consolidate our discussions to one thread so that none of the information is lost to anyone from HP that might look.  It also serves to illustrate just how prevalent the problem is.

Jay

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.