Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop - 15-dw2013ny
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi friends, 

Today's morning I updated my windows(Windows 10). After I restarted the laptop, I entered Spotify to listen to some music. The problem is, when I played the music the sound was very distorted. I tried to use another app, restart the laptop, use some headphones but the sound was still distorted. I tried to troubleshoot sound problems and it says to turn off the sound enhancement, but I don't have that option. What should I do?

Thank you for your time spent!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After suffering with this problem...still...today I uninstalled the Realtek from Device Manager and restarted. This time it seems to have worked, even with audio enhancements enabled.   It seems the reinstall and reboot has worked for some reason this time, hope it holds up.

Fix sound or audio problems in Windows (microsoft.com)    Item 6 will tell you how to do it simply.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Actually, I found the sound enhacements setting and turned it off. It works! But there's no solution to keep the setting on and not have distorted sound?

HP Recommended

I have just had the same problem, and the fix worked. Right click on the speaker icon in the bottom tool bar, select troubleshoot, select 'speaker' then 'next'. It should then bring up an option to turn off sound effects and enhancements, click 'yes open audio enhancements' , select 'Advanced', then you will find 'Signal enhancements' at the bottom, uncheck the 'Enable audio enhancements' . 

After a couple of very frustrating hours this worked, sound complex but is very simple following the steps. It seems Windows updates have once again caused problems.

Very annoying, I hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Yes, I did that, but the sound isn't as good. I think the problem will be solved in the next windows update, at least I hope so. 

HP Recommended

After suffering with this problem...still...today I uninstalled the Realtek from Device Manager and restarted. This time it seems to have worked, even with audio enhancements enabled.   It seems the reinstall and reboot has worked for some reason this time, hope it holds up.

Fix sound or audio problems in Windows (microsoft.com)    Item 6 will tell you how to do it simply.

HP Recommended

It kinda works. Now when I have sound enhacements on is like I have them off (the sound isn't very quality), but that very annoying distortion disappeared. Thank you so much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.