Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Pavilion dv4 - 1120us - no sound although all checks out as okay and working - but external mute button stays on

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Ok, we'll try a different driver and a slightly different method.  Download the following installer and save it to your Desktop.

IDT Audio Installer

When the download has completed, right click the installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation - ignore any warnings that you already have a later driver installed, just continue to install this one.  When complete, restart the notebook and check the status of the IDT audio device in Device Manager and let me know.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hi,

Download the Quick Launch Buttons installer on the link below and save it to your Desktop.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp46501-47000/sp46731.exe

When the download has completed, right click the installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has finished, restart the notebook.

If this doesn't help, it may be worth trying a hard reset as follows.

Shutdown the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter, remove the battery, and then hold down the Power button for a full minute.  Then re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter and see if this helps the issue.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  My mute key on the keyboard is not turning off. My keyborad is stuck in mute! I tried the two procedures you have suggested, but it did not help.  The key is always lit red and there is a mute icon at the bottom left of my screen. How can I get out of mute mode?  Any additional help will be appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Post back with the following.

1.  The operating system you're using.

2  The full Model No. or Part No. of your notebook.

3  Open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers - list all the devices shown here.  Do any have an error icon against them?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi David,

Thanks for your response.  Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Operating system is Windows 7

2. Model is: HP DV7 - 4127CA

3. Under  Device Manager and Sound, Video and Game Controllers I see the following:

- ATI High Definition Audio Device

- HP Webcam Splitter

- IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

I see a yellow exclamation mark against IDT High Definition Audio Codec.  When I click IDT High Definition UDIO CODEC I see the following message: " Windows can not verify the digital signatures for the drivers required for this device.(Code 52)."

What does this mean? Do I need to reinstall the IDT drivers? If yes can you please tell me how to do that. I just bought this computer and I was not expecting any problems.

Thanks again for all the help.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Download the IDT installer on the link below and save it to your Desktop.

IDT Audio Installer

Next, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers, right click on the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC and select Properties.  Click the Driver tab and then click Uninstall Driver.  When this has completed, close Device Manager, go back to the Desktop, right click the installer you downloaded and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, restart the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi,

I tried the reinstallation of the IDT driver which worked with no errors.  But the problem is still there.

In Device Manager I still get a yellow exclamation point and error code 52 against the IDT driver, and the mute button on the keyboard still indicates mute.

Note that everything else is working perfectly well on this computer.

Is there anything else I can do?

Thank you again  for your help.

HP Recommended

Note that I did restart the computer after installing the driver.  But the problem is still there.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Ok, we'll try a different driver and a slightly different method.  Download the following installer and save it to your Desktop.

IDT Audio Installer

When the download has completed, right click the installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation - ignore any warnings that you already have a later driver installed, just continue to install this one.  When complete, restart the notebook and check the status of the IDT audio device in Device Manager and let me know.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hooray!  The last solution you recommended worked perfectly!   The sound is restored, and both the mute end the error code 52 are no more! You are a genious David!

I am just curious: What is the difference between the two drivers you asked me to install?  Why is it that the first driver didn't work, but the second one did? Do you have an idea what may have caused this, so I can avoid it from happening again?

A BIG THANKS TO YOU!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.