Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
14s-fq0000na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So it seems I'm not the only one to have sudden issues with sound on an HP notebook!  I just thought I'd add the HP14S to the list.  It was definitely working on a Zoom call on 03/01/2021 but stopped sometime between then and 09/01/2021 

There are plenty of similar posts but most have no replies, but I've added my my own in case I get a notification of how to fix this - presumably involving an update from one or more of HP, Microsoft or Realtek.

Anyway, I shall wait expectantly...

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@ChrisTr 

Your machine uses AMD CPU/Processor. This is something to do with AMD drivers. Please

(a) Uninstall Audio driver

(b) do a cleanup using following information/fix:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601

https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/amdcleanuputility.exe

(c) reboot machine

Machine will re-install Audio driver for you.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Well, I temporarily had sound again but it didn't last very long.

I contacted HP Support via Messenger and after trying a number of things (updating firmware, updating audio drivers, rollback of same, etc) the only way we could get the sound working again was to rollback to a system restore point prior to the updates. When I asked what should I do when the Windows updates are reapplied and the sound goes again, I was told that it was very unlikely that that would be the case.  

However, the laptop has just had more Windows updates installed and the sound has gone again.  This is very frustrating.

Please advise what to do now. I do not want to have to turn off Windows updates just to keep my sound working. 

HP Recommended

I've had this problem as well with the same model of laptop and no fixes at all! Need an update from HP ASAP!

HP Recommended

I've been in contact with HP via Messenger over the last few days.  Their response was effectively "it's a Windows problem and you'll just have to wait for them to fix it". 

HP Recommended

I have the same issue with the HP 15S model. Rolling back to pre-Windows update fixes the issue, but as soon as you shut it down or restart it applies the update again and the sound has gone.

Surely 'wait for Windows to correct it' cannot be the only option?

HP Recommended

In my online chat, HP Support said: "we understand that Windows has still not fixed the bug and hence, we can just roll back the update."

When I queried it, they said:

"I understand your concern here, However, it is something to do with the OS and any solution can only be triggered by Microsoft for the same." 

and

"since there is a bug, it definitely has been reported ad there will be a fix for this as per the process from Microsoft."

Next step is contact the retailer as it's less than six months old and not currently fit for the purpose for which we bought it.

HP Recommended

Hi, i have the same Problem. We need a Solution!

HP Recommended

I had the same problem on my AMD 15S. I followed the steps in the link below and it sorted mine out. I havent disabled updates just the one driver mentioned. Hope the link works, otherwise just look for Sudden loss of onboard audio speakers and headphones. My headphones were working, just the onboard speakers had failed. Good luck mate

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Sudden-loss-of-onbord-audio-speakers-and-headphones/td-...

HP Recommended

I tried everything from the article. With different software versions, unfortunately with my model always without success.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.