Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-dr0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have purchased a HP Envy x360 Convertible, product number 8XL35EA#ABU.

I am unable to output DTS or Dolby Digital from my laptop via HDMI, there aren't any options under properties for this either (my previous HP Envy did).

Is there a way to install or 'enable' them so that I can do this?

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@MK365,

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are unable to enable the Dolby Digital out via HDMI.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I checked the specifications of your computer and see that your computer doesn’t support Dolby Digital sound hence you are not getting that option on the computer.

Below is the link for the product specifications.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-envy-15-dr0000-x360-convertible-pc/26122130/model/32437839/d...

I hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply The_Fossette

This is disappointing to hear given the specification of the laptop - I had assumed it would simply be there given the amount of money I spent and the high specification.

My previous 2014 model HP Envy Touchsmart (15-j132na) had both Dolby Digital and DTS out via HDMI.

Is there a way to 'enable' this via means of software even if it means purchasing software? I have recently started using the laptop to stream via Netflix/Disney+ as well as game on my home theatre system and really would like to utilise this.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@MK365,

You can download the DTS app from the Microsoft store and check if it helps.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I think I've got to the bottom of this and it appears to be compatibility issues with various devices.

If the laptop is plugged into my TV (Hisense 58") which accepts all surround sound formats, I get only the option to output stereo as the TV doesn't support surround sound formats HOWEVER other devices (Playstation, Xbox, Tivo etc) do allow for the output of surround sound formats which is then passed through the TV and into my amp (Denon 2808). So it appears the laptop can't output surround sound formats unless the receiving device its self is going to be producing the sound.

If my laptop is plugged directly into my Denon amp, then both DTS and Dolby Digital appear as output formats, in addition to stereo. The bummer is that the amp is a bit older and doesn't support 4K so the resolution would need to be reduced to 1080P for this to work.

My problem hasn't been solved but it's down to my own appliances (sort of!). Anyway, I hope this can help anybody else having similar issues, I've spent many hours trying to troubleshoot it and have finally come to this conclusion.

Thank you @The_Fossette for your help.

If anybody has any questions for me, feel free to ask and I will do my best to help!

HP Recommended

@MK365 Thanks for responding with that update, it's certainly going to help some one out,

We appreciate it, and if you need anything else, feel free to write to us, any time.

Have a good day.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.