Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy DV7 3797E
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello, I have an HP Envy DV7 3797EL and I'm sure the audio integrated board if fine because under Win10 works correctly.

The issue happens when I boot by another hard disk on which I have installed win 8.1 - 64 bit, in that case I have no audio card installed (so no sounds output) and on the devices  list under the control panel I have the "High definition Audio Controller" marked with an exclamation mark.

The device vendor and detailed info about the hardware device are these ones:

Il dispositivo PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E20&SUBSYS_1818103C&REV_04\3&11583659&0&D8 è stato configurato.

Nome driver: hdaudbus.inf
GUID classe: {4D36E97D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Data driver: 09/19/2012
Versione driver: 6.2.9200.16420
Provider driver: Microsoft
Sezione driver: HDAudio_Device.NT
Classificazione driver: 0xFF2006
ID dispositivo corrispondente: PCI\CC_0403
Driver prioritari:
Aggiornamento dispositivo: false

The error details are:

a driver or device has been disabled. the function could have been already provided by a different driver (code 32)

I've tried to remove and reinstall the audio driver, to rename manually the .inf file, to delete the Winsxs folder, to do a repair by means of SFC and DISM (and now I have no pending issues after the repair) but still the audio card does not work.

I've also tried to remove the driver by pnputil but that driver package is not in the list (pnputil -e)

I've also downloaded the sp59654 package from the HP website according to my laptop model and O.s. and the installer told me that the package doesn't cointains correct information.

Do anyone have some hints on how to solve the issue ?

I don't want to format my hard disk because I should have to reinstall a huge amount of apps.

How can I find a working driver ?

How can be sure of the audio chipset I have on my computer? I google for "VEN_8086&DEV_1E20" and found alternative drivers but they have no digital signature and can't install them.

Is there something to hack in the registry in order to really wipe out the current driver and avoid a restore from the Windows backup repository?

Any advice ? Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@rattala

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

thanks for your time and hints. unfortunately I followed your instructions and now I have no more available updates on HP support assistant nor on the Windows Update panel, but still I have the same issue I've told about.

It seems that HP has no working driver for my model and Windows 8.1 or there should be some hack to do in order to really remove current drivers and force a true device reinstall.

Any other advice ?

Have a great day.

HP Recommended

@rattala

Let us try these steps that may help.

• Update your audio driver
    • Select the Start button and type device manager in the search box, then select it from the list of results.

• Select the arrow next to Sound, video and game controllers to expand it. 

• Right-click (or press and hold) your sound card, then select Properties.

• Select the Driver tab, and then select Update Driver.

• If Windows doesn't find a new driver, look for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.

• If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

• Uninstall your audio driver
    • In Device Manager, right-click (or press and hold) the audio driver, and then select Uninstall.

• Restart your device and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

• If those didn't work, try using the generic audio driver that comes with Windows. Here's how:
    • In Device Manager, right-click (or press and hold) your audio driver.

• Then select Update driver > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, select High Definition Audio Device, and select Next

• Follow the instructions to install it.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.