Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360

The first few days that I had the laptop there were no crackling issues. When the crackling started, it stopped the next time I used the laptop. It started again and I read that turning the HP Cool Sense off would stop the crackling, which it did for a few uses, but now the Cool Sense is off and the crackling occurs every time a video or sound plays. I have restarted the computer, and am going to try restarting it again, but I am not sure what else to do. I have only had the laptop for about 6 weeks and don't even use it every day. 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@madi2012

Could be due to recently Windows updates. What is your Envy x360 and which Operaring System it is running now ? Please use the following instructions to find out the model/product of your machine:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Please do NOT post its Serial number (s/n).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

It is running on 64 bit Windows 10. 

Model: 15-aq273cl

Product: X7U54UA#ABA

HP Recommended

@madi2012

Please try

(a) Download the following driver and save on your computer (remember where).

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp82501-83000/sp82767.exe

(b) Go to Device Manager and uninstall Sound driver then reboot,

(c) Right click downloaded file and select run as administrator

(d) At the end, reboot.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Madi2012:

Did the fix provided by Provost fix the crackling speaker problem? I have the same issue. My laptop is the same Model # and Product # as yours.

Thanks

@madi2012 wrote:

It is running on 64 bit Windows 10. 

Model: 15-aq273cl

Product: X7U54UA#ABA

HP Recommended

Hello! The issue you are experiencing is happening also with me since I bought the laptop. I've never asked the help of HP support (even between the guarantee period) because it was impossible for me to be without the laptop due to university and the problem was not critical relative to the laptop working because the issue only happens sometimes and 'disappears' 2/3 days after and is just a case of being annoying, even if that's not normal. In my case, with the crackling noise, which happens only on the right speaker, comes the fact that that same speaker even stops working and sometimes from nothing the speakers tend to low the volume without you saying so while playing a music or a video... I've tried several things like updating driver, etc but none of it worked. Also, the issue is usually corrected by me rising the system volume to the maximum and let play some music or something and in most cases the problem 'regenerates'! I really wanted to fix this and it seems it's a software problem because while the speakers' normal function they work really well, in my opinion. Now I have disponibility to deliver the laptop to the HP support but my guarantee period ended 3 weeks ago or so... 

José Gama
HP Recommended

I just found that HP does not provide up to date drivers for ENVY series of 2018 and earlier for Windows 10 ver. 1903.

That's it, you have to purchase a newer laptop compatible with Windows update 1903.

On the other hand, they provide such drivers for their flagship series Omen. Omen laptops are too overhauled with tech for every Omen driver to work on Envy series. But driver for 2018 model of Omen 15t is newer than anything and it works. Despite that the binary seems to be the same from March 2019, the build solves the sound asynchronicity problem.

There will be no effects, no equalizer, after installing. 2 microphone controls (for array) appear instead of one mic. But no distortions in both, playback and microphone input.

try this https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp98001-98500/sp98141.exe

taken from

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/omen-by-hp-15-dc0000-laptop-pc/20329817

HP Recommended

I'm sorry for the long time without an actual answer to your message since I've been busy with university once again!

I think I might chose install those Omen series drivers, so do I just need to download that file, execute it and then reboot the laptop? Thanks for you advice!

José Gama
HP Recommended

it is not a good workaround, but seems the only one with sound coming both in and out. you can try uninstalling previous driver first, but I just performed straightforward update. still waiting for original drivers for our model with all functions working.

...P.S. Japanese support ignores my request for longer than a month. Avoid buying HP computers in Asia. Only US support is responsive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.