Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP NOTEBOOK 15-ay196nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When my computer tried to install updates, after it turned on, there was no sound, the sound icon in the taskbar had a red x next to it. Its says Audio Output Device not installed.

I tried updating my driver in the device manager (Intel R Display Audio), and even tried installing another driver that would be supported, but that driver wasnt supported and the installation was aborted. 

I have also tried to do a system recovery to before the update as it was working fine before, but then it told me I had to uninstall my antivirus software so it could access the files, but I'm afraid to do that and I'm also not sure how because I am using Windows Defender currently. 

Product: Z4L84UA#ABA

Serial:[edit]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@TB22

This is a well known problem with Windows updates/upgrades. Please do a clean reinstall Audio driver using the following steps

(a) Download the following Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver and save on your computer (remember where)

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp84001-84500/sp84034.exe

(b) Go to Device Manager and uninstall Sound driver then reboot machine,

(c) Right click the downloaded file (a above) then select Run as administrator,

(d) Reboot again.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@TB22

This is a well known problem with Windows updates/upgrades. Please do a clean reinstall Audio driver using the following steps

(a) Download the following Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver and save on your computer (remember where)

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp84001-84500/sp84034.exe

(b) Go to Device Manager and uninstall Sound driver then reboot machine,

(c) Right click the downloaded file (a above) then select Run as administrator,

(d) Reboot again.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank You it worked. 

HP Recommended

Your solution was EASY, FAST.  I wasted half a day yesterday with the "virtual assistant" and went round and round in circles getting absolutely nowhere.  THANK YOU!!!!!!

HP Recommended

I did have luck with this problem.  There is now sound, but there is horrible static when I play a youtube.  Any advice?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.