Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I record audio using the default internal microphone, via Sound Recorder or when using Skype or another video chat platform, all that is being recorded is a static sound. I can record audio using an external microphone. I ran the Troubleshooter for Recording Audio but no issue was found.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey there! @vbilt19, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand you have microphone issues with your PC.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Please share the product number of your PC to assist you better.

As you mentioned the internal microphone on your PC has stopped functioning.

If you have issues with the microphone, please try the steps mentioned below.

Right, click or hold tap on the Volume Control icon.

Left click or tap on the “Recording Devices” feature from the menu that pops up.

Right-click on an open space in the “Recording” box and left-click or tap on the “Show Disabled devices” feature.

Right-click again in the “Recording” box and check the “Show disconnected devices” feature as well.

Now in the Recording menu, you will have more icons like External Microphone, Internal Microphone Array, and Stereo Mix. You will need to right click on them and left click on the “Enable” option for each one.

Right-click on the ” Internal Microphone Array” icon and set it to default for the “playback” feature and also set it as a default communication device.

Left click or tap on the “Apply” button in order for the changes to take effect.

Note: If after choosing the Apply button the system stops responding you will have to close the window and try again only this time set the playback feature as default then save your changes and only afterward set it as default communication device.

Right, click or hold tap on “Internal Microphone Array”.

Left click or tap on the “Properties” feature.

Left click or tap on the “Effects” feature.

Check the box next to the “Disable System Effects” feature.

Left click or tap on the “Apply” button again.

Right-click or hold tap on the “Volume Control” icon and left-click or tap on the “Playback Devices” feature.

Right-click on the “Speakers” icon and set it as “default device” and also “Default Communication device” for the system.

Left click on the “Apply” button after you are done.

Re-enable the microphone

Go to Settings > Privacy
Head over to the Microphone section
Now, just toggle Let apps use my microphone

Also, Run Built-in Recoding Audio Troubleshooter

* Press Windows Key then type ‘troubleshoot’ and hit Enter

* Select “View all” on the left panel and run “Recording Audio” troubleshooter from the list and see if it works.

* Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Apply repair automatically”. Also, ensure to select Run as administrator.

* Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot microphone issues with your PC.

If the issue still persists try uninstalling the audio driver from device manager and install the latest audio drivers using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope this answers your query!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey A4Apollo,

The directions you referred too are not showing up when i follow them. For example part 1 with clicking on the volume control and finding recording devices etc...

Running on the latest version of Windows 10

Let me know any other info i can provide about the laptop.

HP Recommended

hello

I did enable my microphone array. however it still did not work. When i click to the show disabled and disconnected devices , the only thing showed up is microphone array .

I can not video call with others cuz they could not hear me, but i could still hear them 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.