Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Mic troubleshooter say mic is at 1%.  Computer/software cannot find any issues. Tried reinstalling Realtek drivers and no help.  Checked permissions and everything looks as it should be. 

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello @dxgol 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

Let me check your current system configuration.

(1) Run    msinfo32

- Select <System Summary>:

--->>> Copy/screenshot/paste following key/value pairs:

OS Name

Version

System Model

System SKU

( equals HP product number (p/n) )

Processor

BIOS Version/Date

(2) Start Windows <Device Manager>

- Expand <Sound, video and game controllers>

--->>> Send screenshot

(3Please report your results

HP Recommended

sys info.PNGsd.PNG

Please let me know what you think, this has been driving me crazy!!   Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hello @dxgol 

(1) Start Windows <device manager>

- Right click "Realtek(R) Audio" device

- Uninstall device

ub6424_0-1664879208965.png

(2) Download and install

Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver

6.0.8947.1 Rev.A331.1 MBJun 8, 2020Download

(3) Restart Windows

(4) Please report your results

HP Recommended

I followed your instructions.  The drive was not compatible with the the OS, see attached.  The Realtek icon cam back in the Device Manager but it does not show in the Sound settings, see attached.  The other sound device from the Devices Manager is the only one showing and it seems to test within the Sound settings but the mic does not work with any apps.driver.PNGmic.PNG

HP Recommended

Hello @dxgol 

When was the last time the microphone worked?

HP Recommended

About 4-5 weeks ago.   It seems to pickup internal system sounds without a problem but not external sounds.   I will try to make a video of what that looks like 

HP Recommended

I believe the issue came about after I installed an external video camera I have since removed and sent back but I cannot be completely sure.  Once I removed the Realtek from the Device Manager, the computer now picks up sound but only within the system sound test window and not with any applications.

HP Recommended

Hello @dxgol 

I think using <HP Cloud Recovery> to reinstall the Windows operating system is the best we can do. Do you need to back up personal data?

Kind regards

HP Recommended

There are no other options?  I cannot afford to lose anything or be down for any length of time.  Anything in the registry I can add, delete, or change?  I do know how to navigate in DOS, if needed

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.