Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Chech the following from the official Ubuntu Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/5cn0ku/1604_lts_on_hp_spectre_x360_kaby_lake_works_great/?s...

Additionally, I am running Fedora 24 on a Skylake Spectre x360, I 've tested archlinux in the past as well.

KF

HP Recommended

As a word of warning about Ubuntu 16.10: gcc/g++ 6.2 defaults to C++14. Now this might sound great because, hey newer stuff is better...right? Nope. gcc 6 support is fragmented across the board, even applications like emacs and the newest linux kernel itself won't compile without some seriously annoying manipulation in Ubuntu 16.10 for this reason. If you are seriously using Ubuntu for something like software development, or for educational use, I would strongly reccommend sticking with the far more stable 16.04 LTS version, which uses gcc 5.4.x. Also...Unity 8 is a complete nightmare in general, when I tested 16.10 originally, I purged all Unity 8 components and stuck with the tried and true customizable and well-supported Unity 7 desktop. If you want to run the newest linux kernel, simply download the correct version from the Ubuntu mainline kernel repository. I'm currently running a patched version of 4.8.7 on Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS.

HP Recommended

Are there any reports on the Spectre13-w063nr  kaby?

It's a really nice package and I want one but I only use Ubuntu.

Hoping to get this instead of XPS13

Does HP even have a program going or partnership with Canonical?

HP Recommended
^ Oh ikr the new Kabylake-generation Spectre x360 looks so nice. Have absolutely no idea how decent hardware support is for Kabylake laptops. Mobile laptop integrated graphics support is annoyingly inconsistent. Invariably, it seems like new hardware support, especially for mobile systems, is spotty across the board. Dell and HP machines appear to be some of the better-supported ones out there, but even among Ubuntu-certified Dell computers, serious problems persist.
This is not necessarily a fault of the manufacturer, however. The core of linux systems, when released on say...Android tablets, is HEAVILY customized and frequently locked down so the user can't modify it. Most popular Android devices run oddly archaic versions of the Linux kernel, and remain on that very same core software for their entire lifetime. In this case, when the user is strongly discouraged (even to the point of voiding a warranty) to mess around, we have much more stable systems.
Newer is not necessarily better, nor can we expect manufacturers to design mobile computers for a general consumer base that are fully functional on the newest (stagnant, I know, but admittedly stable) Windows kernel and the newest Linux kernel. When a laptop is shipped with Windows, the actual device firmware is designed to support Windows. So count yourself **bleep** lucky if you can run Linux without any problems. Kabylake is frankly such a minor improvement over Skylake and Broadwell (all three share the 14nm die) that I'm okay with staying on older, better-supported hardware for the moment.
HP Recommended

Well this turned out pretty good. New Spectre w/Kaby runs 14.04 nicely so far. I went directly to kernel 4.8.6 as per posts and most stuff works except for rotation sensors and top speakers. 4.9 was supposed to fix rotation but didn't and broke bluetooth. Trackpad is twitchy and has false clicks, makes the tiny up-down keys even more of a problem but probably can adjust better. Otherwise the keyboard and screen  is really nice. This is clearly nicer than last years' Spectre.

I like this a lot but my IT guys tell me that no help from HP will be forthcoming, even though we are sole-source HP buyers now. I won't be getting these for my crew though. I was hoping to have a replacement for the XPS13 which have not been so reliable and I thought that this machine would be the breakthrough, actually supporting Ubuntu and maybe even preinstalling. Maybe next year.

HP Recommended

Hell, everyone.

In Fedora to update the grub use:

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg

Great work ingmarolsson !!!1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.