Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion Power 15-cb060sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just bought this laptop two days ago and I noticed that when the headphones are connected but no sound is being played for about 15seconds and you try to play a sound, there is a 2 seconds delay until the sound starts. I tried updating the sound drivers, deleting and reinstalling them but this does not fix the problem. This only occurs with headphones, not with the internal speakers. I also tried replacing the headphones. This problem is not limited to videos but also includes any sound such as system sounds and notifications. This problem is very annoying as I have to rewind videos after pausing them to hear what I missed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@KA77

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to assist.

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion Power - 15-cb060sa laptop. I read that the sound output from the headphones is not correct. When the headphones are connected but no sound is being played for about 15seconds and you try to play a sound, there is a 2 seconds delay until the sound starts. I also read that you have replaced the headphones, uninstalled and reinstalled the audio drivers and the issue persists. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

1. In Windows, type find and fix audio into Search, or right-click the speaker icon  in the taskbar and select Troubleshoot sound problems.
  2. Select Find and fix audio playback problems or Find and fix audio recording problems from the Search results.
  3. Click Next.
  4. Select the device you want to troubleshoot and click Next.
  5. Wait while the troubleshooter detects problems and makes changes (or prompts you to make changes).

Figure: Detecting problems

If the issue persists then I suggest you to perform a BIOS update on the laptop via this link. Please ensure that the charger is plugged into the laptop until the BIOS is updated successfully.

Finally, please initiate a test on the audio. The following steps will help:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

• On the main menu, click Component Tests.

Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

• The Component Tests menu displays. Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer. 

Sample List of the Component tests

• Please initiate an Audio Test - The Audio Playback Test checks your system to make sure the audio device is functioning properly. During the test, a few music notes are played in sequence and then repeated. This test takes 1 minute to complete. To run the test, click Audio, and then click Run once. Choose either the speakers or the headphones. When asked, enter the number of notes you heard.

Please let me know the outcome. 

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@KA77

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to assist.

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion Power - 15-cb060sa laptop. I read that the sound output from the headphones is not correct. When the headphones are connected but no sound is being played for about 15seconds and you try to play a sound, there is a 2 seconds delay until the sound starts. I also read that you have replaced the headphones, uninstalled and reinstalled the audio drivers and the issue persists. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

1. In Windows, type find and fix audio into Search, or right-click the speaker icon  in the taskbar and select Troubleshoot sound problems.
  2. Select Find and fix audio playback problems or Find and fix audio recording problems from the Search results.
  3. Click Next.
  4. Select the device you want to troubleshoot and click Next.
  5. Wait while the troubleshooter detects problems and makes changes (or prompts you to make changes).

Figure: Detecting problems

If the issue persists then I suggest you to perform a BIOS update on the laptop via this link. Please ensure that the charger is plugged into the laptop until the BIOS is updated successfully.

Finally, please initiate a test on the audio. The following steps will help:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

• On the main menu, click Component Tests.

Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

• The Component Tests menu displays. Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer. 

Sample List of the Component tests

• Please initiate an Audio Test - The Audio Playback Test checks your system to make sure the audio device is functioning properly. During the test, a few music notes are played in sequence and then repeated. This test takes 1 minute to complete. To run the test, click Audio, and then click Run once. Choose either the speakers or the headphones. When asked, enter the number of notes you heard.

Please let me know the outcome. 

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi, I am KA77, I created this account as for some reason I can't login to my KA77 account, it says there is no account with my email address even though I am currently looking at the email notifications from HP!!! And it somehow let me creat this account using the same email :LaughingTears: :LaughingTears:

Anyways, my problem was solved by changing the driver to the microsoft driver through the troubleshooter. Thanks for the advice

HP Recommended

@KA777

You're welcome. 🙂

You've been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills, remarkable patience and great attitude. Kudos to you for that.

I'm glad to know that the issue is fixed. 

Take care! 🙂

HP Recommended

please explain more how did you fix that because  i have the same problem and i couldnt fix it 

HP Recommended

Hi RJ8888.  I am yet to find a permanent solution of the issue due to time constraints but have figured out a "temporary" fix to the issue.  Download the Amazon Music App and play and then pause any song.  Keep the app running in the background.  I no longer get that irritating 2-second pause while the app is running.  I guess playing (paused) music in the background keeps the sound card engaged.  This 2-second delay issue has to do with "idling" of the sound card, I guess.  I know this isn't a perment solution, but it is helping me till the time I find one!  Do let me know in case you happen to figure out a solution.  Thanks.  Good Luck!!

HP Recommended

Hello VKMART .. Thanks a lot.. I tried that with media player also and it really works 

Thanks again and please dont forget to let me know when you find a permanent solution for this matter

HP Recommended

Hi I had the same problem. Solved by following theese steps:

Spoiler

New temporary solution that works with Realtek drivers.

Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\xxxx\PowerSettings

where 'xxxx' is one of keys which contains

DriverDesc value 'Realtek High Definition Audio'.

Note: There may be multiple ones containing PowerSettings,

for example 'Nvidia High Definition Audio'.

You'll find there three binary values and set them:

• ConservationIdleTime = ff ff ff ff;
  • IdlePowerState = 00 00 00 00;
  • PerformanceIdleTime = ff ff ff ff.

Default values are all 00 00 00 00 which disables power settings,

but driver somehow overrides it with 0a 00 00 00

which is 10 seconds (0x0a = 10) and is by default in driver.

Problem shouldn't occur again after restart (or I haven't noticed).

This is not solution to problem,

it only prevents audio hardware going idle,

but I don't see any impact on energy consumption.

I'm going to send mail to Realtek support about this problem

as it's clearly driver problem,

and when (or if) they respond I'll post an update.

Give kudos if I helped. 🙂

Original topic: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/System-Sound-Delay/td-p/6224970/page/2

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.