Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello forum,

first of all, I posted this at 'sound', not sure if it's the right place, please move the topic if it's not.

Anyway, here is my problem: my Hp Pavillion g6 has been producing a high pitched noise from the moment I bought it (about a year ago), I throught I couldn't do anything about it and thus gave up at first, but recently I found this: http://asusnoise.blogspot.nl/ , It's a discription for ASUS laptops of how to solve problems with a high pitched noise coming from the laptop. I throught: 'the hell of it, even though it's for ASUS laptops, let's give it a spin'. And guess what? The moment I did the last step (disabling idle processor), the sound stopped. So it's all good in the end? not really....

With this solution the laptop's fan is going berserk, (probably because the processor is always running at max with 'idle processor' disabled) and switching one annoying sound for another ain't really a solving grace as you'll probably understand. 

After this I went searching online for another solution (because from now on I had  the confidence that it CAN be solved after hearing it dissappear) and found only this: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00965412 . Sadly I don't have this option in my BIOS and I have a feeling it's similair to the idle processor solution anyway.

Btw, when starting up the laptop and when accessing the BIOS the sound isn't there either, like you'd expect since it's apparantly a process.

So long story short: do you guys have another way of solving the high pitched sound next to the two mentioned by me? Maybe a service that can be turned off without the fan going berserk?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi Roceco,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read your thread on updating the BIOS on your HP Pavilion g6. Here is a link to update the BIOS.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi I read the previous thread to this on high pitched noises from HP devices. I own a HP ENVY bought a year ago and I hear a constant high pitched noise throughout my use of the laptop from the minute it is switched on. There is also a soft gritting noise heard at the same time. I thought these were simply temporary but these sounds have persisted for a year now. Any suggestions will help. 

HP Recommended

Hi @SujRaj,

Good Day.  Thank you for taking an interest in the HP community. I read the post about the hissing noise from the computer. I will be really glad to assist you here. Smiley Happy

Great description and splendid diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. Smiley Happy You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you with it. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you.

It looks like a hardware issue with the computer.

For better clarity, I would require more information regarding this to assist you.

Are you able to isolate the issue correctly?

• Is the noise coming from speakers?
  • Is the noise heard from closer to where the air vents and fans are located?
  • Is it a continuous noise?
  • Do you hear any clicking hard drive noise?
  • Please let me know the complete model# and operating system installed.

For a start, please try these steps.

• Please run complete system diagnostics from this link by clicking here if it is a notebook. Please run extensive tests and component tests separately. it takes 2 hours to run.
  •  
  • If it is a desktop please click here to run the diagnostics. Please run complete hardware diagnostics and it takes a long time to run. IF any component fails, please make note of the failure code.
  • Please update the bios and chipset drivers from this link: http://hp.com/drivers please select the country and type the productr# of the computer. Then follow the on-screen instructions.

If after the bios update, the noise continues, please contact HP phone support to get the computer serviced.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services is taken care of by the manufacturer’s warranty

Please contact a local Best Buy or Staples technician to try and get the computer repaired.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi David and I apologise for my late reply on this. 

The noises, both a gritting sound and the high pitched noise, are continuous. So no clicking hard drive noise but there seems to be a constant gritting or grinding? like noise. So, both the high-pitched and gritting sounds are continuous and only stop when the laptop is in hibernate mode or ofcourse when it's switched off.

Laptop specifics are as follows:

HP ENVY Notebook

PC Name : DESKTOP-6T0ASN8

OS Build: 14393.1066 ; 64-bit operating system

Windows 10 Home Version 1607

M/N: 13-d021TU

Hard to identify the exact location on the laptop where I hear this - i think it might be from where the speakers are but i hear it even if i put my  ears closer to the screen.

Anyway I will try the link you have proposed. Will this in any way result in my laptop going down if it does not work. I'm raising this concern as I do online tutoring with skype and my next lesson is this Friday!

Regards, 

Suja

HP Recommended

Hi @SujRaj,

I read the response completely. Excellent description of the issue and analyzing the situation regarding the noise being continuous.  Kudos to you for that. 🙂 Nothing is going to happen to your computer if try those links from my previous post.

Please connect a headset to the audio port of the computer and check if it makes a hissing noise. If it does not then the issue is with the speakers and the speakers need to be replaced.

If you hear the hissing noise from the headset also it could be an issue with the sound card or the audio drivers.

Please try these steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers.
  • Then restart the computer and check again.
  • If it still does not work, update the bios chipset and audio drivers (whichever is available) from this link: http://hp.com/drivers Then follow the onscreen instructions.

If it still persists, please contact HP phone support from this link: http://hp.com/contacthp Please select the country and type the product# of the computer Then follow the on-screen instructions to contact HP phone support.

I hope things work great for you. You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount that we address your computer related issues. We appreciate and greatly value your business with HP. Thanks for being a part of the HP community. Please let me know if this helps, and if it does, please mark this post as an “Accepted  Solution”. Kudos would also be appreciated greatly for my efforts to help.You could simply click the “Thumbs Up” Button.

Thanks and have a blessed week ahead!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Mine always did this too, but after a while I realized that it only did it if I left it sitting and plugged in for a long period of time. If your case is the same as mine, you can fix it by simply unplugging the AC adapter, waiting a few seconds, and plugging it in again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.