Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavillion 27-n110a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, recently bought this pc and see that it has only one jack for audio.  Works fine for earphones but Ican't use it for an external microphone. 
I also bought a splitter, as the microphone and headphones are one in the same, however I still can't use it.  Any ideas guys?

Thanks,

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello, @apardey - Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for reaching out to HP Support Forums! I would be glad to be of your assistance!

I understand that the microphone on your HP All-in-One Desktop PC. The single audio jack will support both headphone and microphone. You do not have to use a splitter. Connect the headphone/microphone combo to the jack and then follow the steps below to resolve the issue.

1. Run Audio Troubleshooter:

- Launch Troubleshooting by typing and clicking “Troubleshooting” in   

Windows search.

- Click on "Playing Audio".

- Follow the on-screen instructions.

2. Check if the microphone isn't disabled:

- Right click on the Volume Icon on the taskbar, select "Recording Devices".

- Click on "Show disconnected devices", and "Show disabled devices".

- Select on Microphone, click on "Properties". If it is disabled, enable it.

- Once enabled, set Microphone as default audio input device.

3. Check if the microphone isn't muted:

- Right-Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Volume Mixer".

- On the Microphone slider, slide it up to 100%.

4. Boost sensitivity of Microphone:

- Right-Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Recording".

- Double click on Microphone.

- Open the Levels Tab, move the Microphone boost slider up to check audio.

5. Disable enhancements:

- Right Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Recording“, Double

click on Microphone.

- Open the Enhancements / Effects Tab.

- Check "Disable All Sound / System Effects“. Click Apply, OK, test the Microphone again.

6. Change format of the Microphone:

- Right click on the Volume Icon on the taskbar, select "Recording Devices".

- Double click on Microphone.

- Go to the Advanced Tab, choose any of the 16-bit options on the list.

That should do the trick. Let me know!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Im Having The same problem but it still gets audio from the built in microphone not my external mic but i have wireless headphones to listen to sound but the microphone isnt registering with the PC. I have installed all the up-to-date Realtek drivers, still no fix.

HP Recommended

I have bought my HP aoi 27 two days ago, with the purpose of video making/compiling for which sound recording is essential. Along with the pc, I also purchased an external microphone.

Came home and I am also having the same problem.

Recommended solutions above don't work.

When I plugged in the external microphone, the speakers also stop working. 

When external microphones is plugged in, only the sound from my tv (connected via HDMI) works.

Checked the microphone with my good old laptop and it is working properly.

Can't tell you the magnitude of my disapointment.

I feel like plugging in the external microphone to a washing machine.

I checked the year and saw that it was 2018, a year in which the concept of internet of things ceased to be the next best thing, on its way to the ranks of basics.

I came here happy to see the relevant topic opened, but my disappointment doubled when I saw that the recommended solutions don't work - as stated by another user similar to me half ayear ago- .

To sum up: I purchased this pc to solve my problems, yet my problems rather than being solved have increased substantially. And I am here...

What should I do?

Should I return this PC?

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue. 
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

@Evranos

Please use this post, I will close another post because same text/question.

Your machine has the following ports

Figure : Bottom I/O ports
Pavilion 27 T bottom I/O ports
  1. USB 3.1-Type C
  2. Headphone/Microphone
  3. Memory card reader

On many machines which have Headphone/Microphone on one jacks, a standalone microphone won't work. Have you tried to use a headsets ? What is the result ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Banhien,

Thank you very much for your understanding.

I am sorry it was a bit late yesterday, and I have to work on weekdays so I had to sleep.

Now I am back.

As you said, I have one jack for both microphone and speaker.

I tried with my logitech 2+1 speakers (no microphone), it works well.

Also I tried with my default ps4 headphone/microphone combo and it also works well, bot the headphone and mic.

But the external standalone microphone doesn't work.

Any recommendation?

Would any other microphone would work?

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

@Evranos

That is what I believe. Please try one of the following adapters

https://www.bestproducts.com/tech/gadgets/g1422/external-sound-cards-for-pc-or-mac/

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.