Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 17t-J100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I have an HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad edition. It has a Nvidia 740M.  I use it closed while connected to a monitor through HDMI. My monitor is a Dell  S2415h. The monitor has speakers, but only through HDMI. It does not have an aux in.  Audio only plays through laptop speakers. I want it to play through monitor speakers. Here is what I have tried. My laptop only has a "IDT audio codec", which has no way to change settings. It does not have Realtek.

• Went to sound settings in control panel under the playback tab. 
    • The HDMI is not there
  • Restarted with the monitor plugged in.
  • Installed drivers for the monitor. 
    • Didn't do anything
  • Went to device manager to try to see if I can enable a sound device.
    • I did not see the name of the monitor, but I did see a "High definition audio device" with a yellow triangle next to it. I tried to get it to update drivers, but it doesn't do anything.
  • Updated all drivers and Windows
  • Went to Nvidia control panel and also Intel chipset settings. There is nothing to change settings for audio. Only 3d and graphics.

Please let me know how to fix it. Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Try this...

First download and install this free file utlility.  The 2nd link at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-Zip, download and save, but do not run this Intel graphics driver.

This package provides the driver that enables the Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. If high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) video output is supported, this package also installs the HDMI Audio Driver.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72001-72500/sp72370.exe

Once you have saved the graphics driver file, right click on it and select 7-Zip from the list of items on the menu.

Have 7-Zip Extract to:  and let it extract the file into its folder name (sp72370).

After 7-Zip does its thing, go to the device manager and click on that plain HD Audio device (not the IDT one).

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder 7-Zip created.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC, and see if you now have audio and video via the HDMI out port.

Now, if that doesn't work...please post the hardware ID for the High Definition audio device so I can figure out which device we need to force install the driver to, because there are two HDMI audio driver folders.

To find the hardware ID, click on the HD audio device in the device manager.

Then click on the Details tab at the top of the HD audio device.

Now you will see a Property drop down list and it will be set to Device description.

Drop down on that list, and select the 2nd item (Hardware ID's).

Post the top string of characters that you see in the window.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Try this...

First download and install this free file utlility.  The 2nd link at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-Zip, download and save, but do not run this Intel graphics driver.

This package provides the driver that enables the Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. If high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) video output is supported, this package also installs the HDMI Audio Driver.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72001-72500/sp72370.exe

Once you have saved the graphics driver file, right click on it and select 7-Zip from the list of items on the menu.

Have 7-Zip Extract to:  and let it extract the file into its folder name (sp72370).

After 7-Zip does its thing, go to the device manager and click on that plain HD Audio device (not the IDT one).

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder 7-Zip created.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC, and see if you now have audio and video via the HDMI out port.

Now, if that doesn't work...please post the hardware ID for the High Definition audio device so I can figure out which device we need to force install the driver to, because there are two HDMI audio driver folders.

To find the hardware ID, click on the HD audio device in the device manager.

Then click on the Details tab at the top of the HD audio device.

Now you will see a Property drop down list and it will be set to Device description.

Drop down on that list, and select the 2nd item (Hardware ID's).

Post the top string of characters that you see in the window.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. That worked. Sound plays just fine through the monitor now.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.