Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-ay196nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My IDT High Definition Audio CODEC is missing. I have very poor (low) sound quality and I need to re-install the driver.  Can anyone point me in the right direction where to find the correct driver for my system and how to install? Thank you in advance.  I'm running Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your model notebook does not have the IDT HD audio chip.  It has the Realtek one.

You can install the latest Realtek audio driver for your notebook's model series at the link below...

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp84001-84500/sp84034.exe

To install the driver, double click on the exe file, and follow the on screen instructions to install the driver.

The installation should be automatic.

HP Recommended

Hello Paul,

Thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately, the download did not work. My sound is still very low. An HP Tech Support person gave me a driver that fixed the problem about a year ago and now that my warranty is expired, I cannot get any help. I had the IDT High Def CODEC installed. Are there any alternatives or workarounds to fix this issue? 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, that's the only driver I know of that had any  chance of working, since the one on your PC's support page quit working on the latest releases of W10.

HP Recommended

Thank you again Paul.  Have a happy 2019.   

HP Recommended

Happy New Year to you too!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.