Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

Evidently the new Windows update 22H2  will not be compatible with the older Intel Smart Sound Technology drivers.  Any word from HP on when these will be available? 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I'd be interested in the source for that, and updates as well.

I have an HP Zbook G6 17", with an Intel Xeon E-2286M CPU (not exactly Gen 11 but same time period), and the Intel SmartSound driver version 10.23.0.4880.  I've been on Windows 10 Pro for Workstations from the beginning, and was never ever offered Windows 11.  I found it odd, since my computer is listed here https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_4890350-4890415-16 as being Windows-11 supported.  A few weeks ago I tried updating using the Update Assistant - I even tried the ISO Setup method.  Both methods refused to proceed, citing hardware compatibility issues.  Literally the only hardware issues I could find here https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-11-22H2#2746msgdesc referred to the Intel SmartSound array, but only some 10.29 and 10.30 drivers are impacted:  I'm on 10.23.

Then, out of the blue, tonight, several weeks later, I just saw the blue-dot update icon in the Taskbar, and, presto!, I'm now being offered 22H2 right through Windows update.  It's late here so I'll wait until tomorrow, but do we have any idea if it's safe to proceed?  Seems to me that HP thinks so, and Microsoft thinks so, but the full one-year compatibility hold I've been experiencing makes me a little nervous.

HP Recommended

Well, for what it's worth, I accepted the Windows 11 upgrade (to 22H2) and it completed without any issues.  My Intel Smart Sound drivers are still there, things work, and nothing in device manager is unrecognized.  At least for me, I seem to be good to go on Windows 11 with Intel SmartSound.

HP Recommended

The document to which you refer is somewhat confusing. I have found articles that state that any version of drivers prior to 10.29.0.5152 or 10.30.0.5152 are affected by the upgrade hold and that those with the older drivers would need to update to at least the 10.29.0.5152 or 10.30.0.5152 drivers.

My laptop has the following SST Drivers.

Current SST Audio Controller driver version - 10.24.0.4442

Current SST OED driver - 10.24.4442.201

Since your drivers were older than mine, I am surprised that you received the 22H2 upgrade link. Hopefully, you won't have any issues installing the update. I haven't received the 22H2 update link in Windows Update and an attempt I made to use the Upgrade Assistant failed with the same driver incompatibility notice

I have checked with Intel and HP and neither appear to have any update that would correct the issue. Nor have I been able to find a location to download the 10.29.0.5152 or 10.30.0.5152 versions of the driver to install them to test their functionality.

HP Recommended

Glen.

I am glad to hear that you were able to update to 22H2. Do your Smart Sound Technology devices still show the 10.23.0.4880 version number?

HP Recommended

Hi -

Yes, the update went smoothly and no issues thus far.  Yes, the driver is still at 10.23.0.4880.  SmartSound appears in four places in my Device Manager:

Audio Input - Microphone Array (Intel SST) - driver 10.0.22621.1 dated 5/6/22

Sound, Video, and Game - Intel SST - driver 10.23.0.4880 dated 12/4/20

System Devices - Intel SST Audio Controller - driver 10.23.0.4880 dated 12/4/20

System Devices - Intel SST OED - driver 10.23.4880.250 dated 8/6/21

The information was identical both before and after the upgrade. 

Edit to add more to reply to your earlier reply:

I'm surprised I got the upgrade as well.  I tried everything - HP's Website, Intel's Website, Windows Update catalog - Intel even has a downloadable driver detection and upgrade tool - none of them provided anything in terms of a new driver.  After all the different upgrade methods pushed back on my upgrade attempt, I had pretty much resigned myself to staying on Windows 10 - and then, on the very day of 22H2, I got the upgrade.  Weird, to be sure!

HP Recommended

Thanks all evidently I had the new Smart Sound  drivers as 22H2 was offered and installed, will say there wasn't a printer installed on that new laptop.  Not offered yet for my 2 year old desktop though.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.