Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 15m-ds0011dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My internal microphone stopped working a couple of days ago. I updated BIOS about the same time, but not sure if it could be related? Internal speakers work fine.  Headset works fine (including microphone). 

So far, I have: Verified internal microphone is default device, performed a hard reset, checked privacy settings, run Windows & HP support diagnostics (no issues found), removed Realtek Audio (and driver) from Device Manager (so windows could reinstall after restarting). Restarted audio services.

I'm out of ideas. Please help! 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Darington
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,  I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Right-click the Sound icon in the system taskbar, beside the clock. Select Recording Devices from the drop-down menu. When the Sound window opens to the Recording tab, select Microphone. The Microphone entry should say that it is working, and there should be a meter beside the entry.

Use the following best practices to capture sound more easily:

1. Adjust the computer screen to place the microphone in the best direction for receiving sound. When using the internal microphone, choose an environment without background noise.

2. Click Start, type sound in the search field and select Sound Recorder from the list.

3. Click Record and speak into the microphone. Save the file to an easily-accessible location, such as the desktop.

4. To playback, the recorded sound, open the file using Windows Media Player.

5. If the recorded sound plays back, your microphone is working. Otherwise, go to the next section of this document.

Click here to check the microphone settings. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying.  Are your instructions for Windows 10? They appear to be for Windows Vista.  Things are a little different in Windows 10.  Regardless, I have already tried all of your suggestions (as I stated in my original post).  Well, except for using a restore point to restore Windows prior to microphone going out.  I was hoping to avoid that, but i'll go ahead and try it next I guess.

HP Recommended

I see you edited your post to have the link point to Windows 10 instead of Vista microphone troubleshooting.  I have tried everything listed and still no sound. I even tried system restore. No luck. Please help

HP Recommended

@Darington

Thank you for posting back. 

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for getting back to me. Back in September, I posted a request for help with this same laptop locking up and only got a single reply from another frustrated user with the same problem.  Mine no longer locks up when I'm using it, but if I allow it to go to sleep mode, it will still lock up, requiring a hard reset.  I'm disappointed with this laptop and with this support forum.

Anyway, It looks like the nearest support center is 50 miles away.  I'll just live with it for now and use my headset mic instead.  If it is a software issue, maybe it will start working again after an update.

HP Recommended

@Darington

I understand your concerns and frustration

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

If the issue persists please perform a Reset and if it is a Software issue, the Reset should resolve it. Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion. I already have the latest version of HP Support Assistance on my laptop.  I regularly check for updates on it and also for Windows 10 Updates.  I may create a system image, then try a reset.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@Darington

Keep me posted how it goes 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.