Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY - 17m-bw0013dx

Internal speaker sound is not working with windows 11 for some reason. I was told by microsoft support that HP has not created a new Realtek Audio driver that is supported on windows 11. If this is the case, when can I expect there to be a new driver? If not, is there any idea what is going on? 

Here are some things I have observed:

-wired headphones always work, its when I unplug them that the audio does not switch over to my internal speakers (the audio keeps playing through the aux jack even though nothing is plugged in)

-if I am playing music with the volume loud enough, with nothing external plugged in, I can observe on sound settings that the volume frequently jumps between two values (I have a feeling its because the computer is trying to switch over to internal speakers very glitch like though and never actually produces sound).

-I have done an HP diagnostic component audio test from boot up and was able to get sound coming out of the internal speakers! That test passed so I know there's nothing wrong with the hardware.

-I have an odd audio driver in my device manager that has no information. I am not sure if it is connected to this issue or not. I have it shown below

Audio Driver Issue.png

Any help would be appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Since this is a peer-to-peer forum and we don't work for or represent HP, no one here would be able to answer if or when HP will release W11 drivers for your notebook.

The Intel HD audio device is probably the driver for the HDMI audio which is installed by the graphics driver.

Since there is no W11 graphics driver (unless Windows Update installed one), see if this works:

I have zipped up and attached the Intel HD audio driver from the W11 graphics driver from Intel's website, below.

Download and unzip the file to its folder.

Do not do anything with the files in the folder.

Go to the device manager.  Click on the Intel HD audio device needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for drivers option and browse to the driver folder you unzipped.

Make sure that the Include subfolders box is checked and if I am correct, the driver will install.

Unfortunately, this will not fix the audio issue you are having because that is controlled by the Realtek audio driver for which your notebook does not have one.

If you want to experiment with a W11 Realtek audio driver from a different model PC that has W11 drivers, this seems to be the one that HP is uploading on many notebook models support pages.

6.0.9198.1   Jul 31, 2021

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp124501-125000/sp124580.exe 

I recommend that you create a system restore point so you can go back to a time before you installed the driver just in case it makes a bad situation worse.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027538/windows-create-a-system-restore-point 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.