Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre X360 2-in-1 14

I can't get the internal microphone to work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @SanJose-408 ,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If the internal microphone on your HP Spectre x360 2-in-1 14 is not working, there are several steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue. Here's a step-by-step guide.

Check Microphone Privacy Settings:

• Right-click on the speaker icon in the system tray and select "Open Sound settings."
  • Under the "Input" section, make sure the correct microphone is selected as the default device.
  • Click on "Device properties" and ensure that the microphone is not muted and the volume is set appropriately.

Update Audio Drivers:

• Outdated or incompatible audio drivers can cause microphone issues. Go to the HP website or use the HP Support Assistant to check for and install the latest audio drivers for your Spectre x360.

Restart Your Laptop:

• Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve hardware or software glitches. Restart your laptop and check if the microphone starts working.

Run Windows Troubleshooter:

• Open the Settings app, go to "Update & Security," and then click on "Troubleshoot."
  • Run the "Recording Audio" troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instructions.

Check Microphone Hardware:

• Ensure that the microphone is not physically damaged or muted. Some laptops have a physical switch or button to enable/disable the microphone.

BIOS/UEFI Settings:

• Check the BIOS/UEFI settings to ensure that the microphone is not disabled at the hardware level.

Check for Software Conflicts:

• Third-party applications, especially those related to audio or communication, can sometimes interfere with the microphone. Try disabling or uninstalling such applications temporarily to see if the issue persists.

Restore to a Previous State (System Restore):

• If the issue started recently, you can use the System Restore feature to revert your system to a point where the microphone was working. This will not affect your personal files but may uninstall recently installed programs.

Perform a System Update:

• Ensure that your operating system is up to date with the latest updates and patches.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gaya1239

HP Support

Gaya1239 – HP Support.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @SanJose-408 ,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If the internal microphone on your HP Spectre x360 2-in-1 14 is not working, there are several steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue. Here's a step-by-step guide.

Check Microphone Privacy Settings:

• Right-click on the speaker icon in the system tray and select "Open Sound settings."
  • Under the "Input" section, make sure the correct microphone is selected as the default device.
  • Click on "Device properties" and ensure that the microphone is not muted and the volume is set appropriately.

Update Audio Drivers:

• Outdated or incompatible audio drivers can cause microphone issues. Go to the HP website or use the HP Support Assistant to check for and install the latest audio drivers for your Spectre x360.

Restart Your Laptop:

• Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve hardware or software glitches. Restart your laptop and check if the microphone starts working.

Run Windows Troubleshooter:

• Open the Settings app, go to "Update & Security," and then click on "Troubleshoot."
  • Run the "Recording Audio" troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instructions.

Check Microphone Hardware:

• Ensure that the microphone is not physically damaged or muted. Some laptops have a physical switch or button to enable/disable the microphone.

BIOS/UEFI Settings:

• Check the BIOS/UEFI settings to ensure that the microphone is not disabled at the hardware level.

Check for Software Conflicts:

• Third-party applications, especially those related to audio or communication, can sometimes interfere with the microphone. Try disabling or uninstalling such applications temporarily to see if the issue persists.

Restore to a Previous State (System Restore):

• If the issue started recently, you can use the System Restore feature to revert your system to a point where the microphone was working. This will not affect your personal files but may uninstall recently installed programs.

Perform a System Update:

• Ensure that your operating system is up to date with the latest updates and patches.

I hope this helps. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gaya1239

HP Support

Gaya1239 – HP Support.
HP Recommended

Thank you Gaya1239.  The mic is working now.  Part of my problem was that I didn't know which of the input devices was my internal mic - Stereo Mix, USB-c dock mic, or Mic Array.  When I understood I should be using the Mic Array, I followed your directions and found that it had been disabled.  I enabled it and now it works fine.

HP Recommended

@SanJose-408,

That's great! Happy to hear that the issue has been resolved. I really appreciate your efforts on this and If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us. 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accept as Solution and Kudos, Thumbs Up buttons on the public post, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day ahead!

Gaya1239 – HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.