Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So ever since i have tried to use skype to talk to people (since im at uni and far away from home) i have noticed that the internal microphone appears to not work since no body can hear me when trying to call them. I have tried updating all my audio software and have updated (well tried to) all of the audio drivers which i could find. I have went through all the troubleshooting topics i could find and nothing has came up as an error. I have also tried using external devices which have the same problems. When using the internal or external devices the were not being recongnised in windows or on skype itself. Then yesterday my speakers all of a sudden started to beep once above the volume of 54%. The sound is a lot like a fire alarm or any other type of alarm. once again i tried to update all of my software and drivers for the audio however i am still stuck with the same problems. Any help would be great, Thanks 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Scottie27,

I read the post. Thanks for the update. As @Riddle_Decipher is out for the day I am responding on his behalf. As you've tried all the steps, I request you to back up your important files and then reet windows to factory settings on your computer and check again if the internal or external Mics work.

Please follow directions from this link: http://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c04742289 

There is an associated video on how to do it.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a great week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Scottie27

Thank you for being a part of HP Forums, 

It'll be an honor to guide you through the steps needed to identify your concern and/or address your query.

Have you checked with an alternate recorder app? If not, I suggest you do and check if that works fine.

While you check that out, I suggest you reinstall the audio drivers using the HP Recovery Manager: Click here for instructions.

Also, run an extensive system test on your device and get back to me with the results for a more accurate solution: Click here

Keep me posted, as I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, only in case you don't get back to us, first! 

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us, and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the help but unfortunately the promlems still haven't been resolved. I tried to use audacity to see if that would work but with no success. I got an error code stating theres a problem with either: audacity, the operating system or sound device recording settings, i have attached a screenshot of the error message.Screenshot_1.png

I have also reinstalled the audio drivers using the HP Recovery Manager which also has not fixed any problems. I also ran a qucik diagnostics test to see if any failures came up but everything passed so I am busy doing the extensive system check which is going to take some time so I'll get back to you on the results.

Thank you for your help 🙂

HP Recommended

The system check results have came back and everything passed except the Long Drive Self-Test which was cancelled for some reason. There was no error message and nobody could have canceled it since nobody was in the room, myself included in that. Unfortunately it wouldn't let me take a screenshot to share the test results with you.

Long Drive Self-Test - Canceled

Disk Read Verify - Passed

Video Extended Memory Check - Passed

Battery Check - Passed

IRQ Test - Passed

ROM Test - Passed

CPU Stress Test - Passed

I dont know what else i can do, I'm wondering whether its a hardware issue rather than a software issue.

Thanks again 🙂

HP Recommended

@Scottie27,

I read the post. Thanks for the update. As @Riddle_Decipher is out for the day I am responding on his behalf. As you've tried all the steps, I request you to back up your important files and then reet windows to factory settings on your computer and check again if the internal or external Mics work.

Please follow directions from this link: http://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c04742289 

There is an associated video on how to do it.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a great week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

After i reset my laptop and windows back to factory settings the microphone and speakers are working correctly.

Thanks for all the help 🙂

HP Recommended

@Scottie27

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad you found the solution to this concern.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know that you accept our suggestions,

To simply say thanks for our efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Scottie27,

Thanks for the reply and accepting this as a solution.

Take care and have a  blessed week ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.