Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15-bs004nm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

After last uppdate to version 1803 led indicator for mute tone is not working, but led indicator for casps lock is working. How could i resolve this problem? Please help, this is very disturbing because this is my new laptop. It is HP 15 with intel i5 7200u.

I have tried to troubleshot, reinstalled keyboard and reinstalled sound drivers and it is still not working.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have tried solution from Soloved: Re: mute button light not working and it is working!!! LED is working! :OpenSmile:

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Download the Realtek HD Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp83501-84000/sp83941.exe

When done, hold down the Windows key and press R

Into the Run window, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.

In Device Manager, expand Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the Realtek device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

When complete, restart the notebook.

When windows has reloaded, open your Downloads folder, right click on the Realtek installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, restart the notebook again and let windows fully load for a few minutes before checking the function of the mute led.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I have done exactly what you said and it is still the same. The button is working but it is not lighting red. What should i try next?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following method with a slightly earlier revision of the audio driver package.

Download the Realtek HD Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp79501-80000/sp79991.exe

When done, hold down the Windows key and press R

Into the Run window, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.

In Device Manager, expand Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the Realtek device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

When complete, download and reinstall the Chipset driver on the following link.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp83501-84000/sp83858.exe

When the Chipset reinstallation has completed, shutdown the notebook.

Unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery. 

Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds. 

Re-insert the battery, plug in the AC Adapter and start the notebook.

When windows has reloaded, open your Downloads folder, right click on the Realtek installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When the installation has completed, restart the notebook one more time and again, let windows fully load for a few minutes before checking the function of the mute led.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hello, I have done this and the result is the same. The button is working but there is no light.

HP Recommended

Hi,

If I think of anything else, I'll post back to this thread.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Should i downgrade to the last update and see if led is working?

HP Recommended

Hi,

It may be worth checking if the Realtek installer package on the link below helps first.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp87001-87500/sp87168.exe

Additionally, install the latest version of the System Event Utility on the following link.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp87001-87500/sp87076.exe

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

The previous two installations sp83941 and sp 79991 that You have sent me had just one wizard for installation and its window was white and installations were successfull. But this last installation has two wizards, first white than blue. On the half of second (blue) wizard i have got message with error -0001 and installation was abort.
After that i have installed sp79991 and it was successfull, but led indicator is still not working. 
Then i installed the latest version of the System Event Utility but nothnig changes.
I have folloved Your instructions for installation from posts above.

HP Recommended

I have again tried last installation and i have successfully installed it, but led is still not working.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.