Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 830 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I work as part of an hospital trust IT department and experiencing some issues with the Elitebook 830 G6

I have three devices all with the same issue, quiet mic reception.

I have updated all devices with the latest drivers from the HP website. I have tested the mic alongside another device made by a rival company. Within the Sounds section of control panel, I can tap the table in the middle of the two devices, the 830 G6 does not register any sound, where as the other device does. I then tap the laptop base, minimal detection from the 830 G6, full sound on the other. Finally I can tap on the webcam, which is where the mic is placed i believe and this is when the 830 G6 registers full on the sound bars.

This is a serious problem affecting 3 machines, all with the same symptoms, which seems odd for a hardware fault, however as stated, all drivers have been updated. BIOS updated and numerous tests taken place, but to no avail. I have also made sure the device is at full volume for the mic - there is no boost option which i have seen on other models - unsure if this is missing or just a feature which is not on the 830 G6 models.

If anyone could advise on this, this would be great.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello

I have an 840 G6 and it works fine.

for those kind of products, there is in Control Panel, Bang&Olufsen icon. try to start it and see if the MIC is "Microfone Array Intel Smart Sound Technology"

in Control Panel , there is also Sound icon. Probably is where you checked that Rrecording level is 100% or close to that number.

I hope this help

bye

HP Recommended

We're having the same issue with our 840 G6 machines. All of them. The microphone is unusable. It does pick up something, but no discernible sound. If I enable loopback there's no sound either, except for when I tap the microphone hole, then there will be weird distorted and choppy sound.

Tried everything I can think of; different drivers, Windows updates, hotfixes, BIOS update, all kinds of configuration settings--nothing.

Windows 10 Pro N 1909, just reproduced it with a fresh image. I'll try some Linux now.

HP Recommended

Okay, just tested it with Linux and basically the same issue. There's a bit more sound, but it's all choppy and distorted. If this is a hardware issue it's a mid-sized catastrophe.

HP Recommended

Hi TryToDoMybest,

Thank you for the reply. Yeah I have tried most of these options I'm afraid and still have the same issue.

We have a collection of other models, including 840 G6, like yourself, and these are working like a dream, the only machines affected for myself are the 830 G6s

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.