Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 840 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. I have a microphone issue with a brand new laptop HP Elitebook 840 G5. Volume level is too low and people can't hear me properly. It's happening not only in skype and other programs, but also with internal voice recording.  ALso, keyboard and touchpad noise covers voice. Microphone level is boosted,  Windows troubleshooting and HP Support Assistant didn't find any problems, Windows is updated and restarted. I want to mention that I used every method from this article: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-14-ba000-x360-convertible-pc/15551162/model/1705327... and nothing helped. I also tried to download and install HP audio drivers for my model, but it had no effect.  In addition, in my notebook Bang and Olufsen Audio is installed and it also didn't fix my problem.  I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I have an EliteBook 840 G5 that had this problem also. We were successful in resolving the problem by updating the driver on 4/29/19. We navigated to Device Manager, there was no Microphone option so the first audio option was selected instead, and selected Search automatically for updated driver software. We also boosted the mic level to +24db from +12db.

HP Recommended

Thank you.  Do you think your microphone records now clear speaking without noise troubles? I am still not satisfied with the way it works in a "business laptop" :ThumbDown: I used auto search of drivers for microphone and it said I have the latest version of driver. My level is also boosted for +24.  Looks like it is the most acceptable level. Voice in audio recodings now has better quility, however when I type or use touch panel while speaking, then keys noise still is louder. I also tried to play around with B&O settings and selected improved mode with noise suppression: I selected "conference" option, not "my voice only", because when "voice" mode is on, then any additional light noise  during speaking (like touching notebook etc.) supresses not only noise, but all sounds including voice.  "Conference" audio sounds a little bit dirty, however voice doesn't disappear in this mode. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.