Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
01-26-2019 12:29 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to dix my microphone, that suddenly stopped working.
My laptop says it's working normally, troubleshooting it says all is good, but it's not recording any sounds. I tried both external and internal microphones, but nothing.
I have tried updating/re-installing drivers, I have checked all the settings, app permissions etc. but nothing has worked.
01-28-2019 01:29 PM
Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums.
I read the post regarding the internal microphone not working. I will be glad to assist you with this. You've done some smart troubleshooting and provided a splendid account of the issue. Kudos to you for that. 🙂
For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.
- Did you try the tap test in audio settings for the headset microphone?
- Have you recently made any software or hardware changes on the PC before the issue started?
Have you confirmed the Microphone is listed under device manager?
Did you try an external microphone to check if that works?
For a start please try these steps:
- Right-click on the speaker icon on the lower right corner of the taskbar.
- Then please select recording devices. Please select the Headset Mic option
- Then tap the Lid near the top gently several times next to where the webcam is located and check if the microphone bars respond to the taps and receive inputs.
- If they do then it should work with a driver uninstall and reinstall.
- Please make sure that the headset Mic is set to default and enabled in properties option.
Then please perform these steps from device manager.
- Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers. Check the box that says delete the software for this device.
- Then restart the computer and update the bios, chipset and audio drivers from this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers please select the country and follow the on-screen instructions.
Then check if this does the trick for you.
If the issue continues, then check if the internal Microphone is working and perform all the relevant steps from this link: HP PCs - Resolving Microphone Problems (Windows 10, 😎 to troubleshoot the issue Then check if it gets resolved.
Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!
Eagerly waiting for your response!
I hope you have a good day ahead,
And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.
I am an HP Employee
01-28-2019 03:00 PM - edited 01-28-2019 03:02 PM
I did try tapping all microphones I tested. Also did test audio records and they picked up nothing.
I have not made any changes, but I did notice the mic stopped working after I moved (and got a new internet provider), but not sure if that's relevant. It worked fine before that.
I have confirmed that all microphones I tested were listed under device manager, and from there I tested each mic, and my computer said it could't find anything wrong with them.
I tried an external mic, two different ones (just a mic, and a headset with a mic).
I can't uninstall the microphone's drivers, however I can unistall and reinstall the audio driver. Bios I have already updated.
01-29-2019 05:16 PM
Thank you for replying,
As I understand you have tried to follow the steps suggested and unfortunately nothing has helped to resolve this issue. No worries, I have few other steps which should help you resolve this issue.
I recommend you download and install HP support assistant from the below link and it will automatically download and install all the latest drivers available for your computer.
Also, I recommend you try using the Windows built-in sound driver and check whether the issue is resolved.
Here is how it is done.
- Type Device Manager in the search box and press Enter.
- Locate sound driver by clicking the drop-down arrow to expand one of the categories.
- Right-click on the installed driver and then select Properties.
- Under the display driver properties window, select the Driver tab.
- Select Uninstall and check the box for Delete the driver software for this device.
- Select OK.
- The system may require a reboot at this point. Reboot if needed, then reopen Device Manager.
- Select any device, then click the Scan for hardware changes button to reinstall a compatible driver for your device.
- Wait for the installation to complete, and then restart you device if prompted.
Follow the below steps to install all the updates.
Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.
Perform any other update management actions as needed.
Postpone an update: Click Remind me, and then select a time preference.
Delete an available update: Click the Delete icon to remove the update from the list and record it in the action log.
Review updates status: Click Action log below the list to view installed, postponed, or deleted updates.
Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!
If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!
I am an HP Employee