Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I have observed a strange scratching sound from the laptop, especially when I am scrolling the word, pdf, or google browser. 

The sound comes especially during the scrolling.

I have gone through few posts, wherein the associate advised to check the sound without the adapter plugged in, I have tried the same, it still comes, another post the associate advised to check the drivers, I find them updated.

Can anyone sort this thing? ASAP

My laptop is my working machine, I have multiple jobs to be worked on using this laptop.

I need to take care of it.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Farhank91

Welcome to HP support community.

Provide the complete model number or the product number?

Is this a sound that comes from the speakers or its a mechanical failure?

Meanwhile:

Try with an alternate mouse and check if that works fine?

Run Extensive system test to check for hardware failures.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

4. Click Extensive Test.

5. Click Run once, or Loop until error. While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are shown on the screen.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi 

Its HP Pavilion Notebook, Product no: W6T22PA#ACJ

No, I am sure that it is not a sound from the speaker.

I have a wireless mouse.

The sound persists with the touchpad as well, So I don't think using an alternate mouse will work out.

Regarding the test, It took me more than 4 hours and I have attached the snap of the results. You can have a look.
Please suggest me something appropriate. I have loads of important research work with this machine. I am feeling a bit risky now, due to the sound. One thing to say, the sound doesn't start immediately, as I turn on the laptop, Generally, after usage of say one hour, whenever I am scrolling the page, the screeching sound is audible, as if the CD is scratching.. furthermore, it sometimes suddenly pops up even when I am not scrolling (idle work).

Additionally, I would like to inform you that the battery (or the charger) is underperforming, Its never getting charged to a higher level. Regarding the sound what I am talking about, the sound is coming even when the charger is disconnected.!

I hope you will advise me something fruitful

Thanks,

Test ResultsTest Results

HP Recommended

@Farhank91

The sound is most likely coming from the fan as that's the only other moving component inside the device, that said here's what I suggest you do:

to resolve issues such as Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly:

· Updating your Notebook computer BIOS 

· Keeping notebook air vents clear and clean 

· Increasing the efficiency of the notebook to reduce heat 

· Using Windows Task Manager to identify corrupt processes 

· Selecting power save settings to shut off your computer when it is not in use

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.