Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Since the Windows Oct 2018 update, the audio of my HP Pavilion x360 laptop has stopped functioning. I have tried troublehooting steps mentioned in the support threads (see below) but the problem persists. Is there another solution to solve this issue. 

I have tried these already but the problem persists.

1. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06166393
  2. https://www.techworm.net/2018/10/no-audio-output-device-is-installed.html

Need solution asap as I have a audio video interview coming up on 25th Oct.

Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Solved finally! 

Since I could not download the file from Realtek site, I downloaded an earlier version of the driver i.e 2.79 instead of 2.82 from  Cnet. I uninstalled the audio device with the previous drivers from device manager > Sound video game controller and installed the 2.79V driver. The audio is back, Whew!

Thanks @ David and @Riddler for your support.

Cheers!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Amol7

Welcome to the HP Forums,

We'll be with you until it's all sorted & beyond!

Have you attempted to install all available windows updates after 1809?

If yes and the issue persists, please try the below steps:

Some of our computers were affected with this issue due to an update from Intel.

HP and Intel are working together to provide a fix at the earliest.

As a workaround, request you open device manager by doing a right-click on the Windows button/menu.

1. Expand “Sound, Video and Game controllers” or under “other devices” in Device manager.
  2. To find the audio drivers installed on your computer.
  3. Right-click on the audio drivers listed there and uninstall the Intel high definition audio and Realtek audio drivers listed there.
  4. Delete the drivers if prompted during the uninstall process.
  5. Once done, click on View and select Devices by connection on the Device manager.
  6. Expand ACPI x64 based PC.
  7. Expand PCI Express Root complex and right-click on Intel Smart Sound technology Audio controller and uninstall the device.
  8. Make sure to delete the driver if prompted during the uninstall process.
  9. Once done, click on Action and Scan for hardware changes twice in the device manager.
  10. Close device manager.
  11. Open Settings from the Windows menu.
  12. Click on Update and Security and check for updates to get the new audio driver for your computer.

This should resolve the issue you are facing.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle,

I am having exactly the same problem on my HP Pavilion X360 m Convertible laptop, Model 14m-cd0001dx.  I tried the steps you outlined above, but it did not fix the no audio problem.  As the original poster stated, this started just recently after the October 2018 Windows Update.

I do not have an "Intel Smart Sound Technology" driver in my Device Manager but I do have a "Realtek High Definition Audio" device in its place, so that's the one I uninstalled/deleted.  Still didn't fix the problem.  When I go to the Sounds settings, everything looks like it should be playing audio, but nothing comes out of the laptop's speakers.  The microphone works just fine, and if I try a video chat, the person I'm talking to can hear me...but I can't hear them of course because I have no audio.

Please let us know ASAP what we can do to fix this problem.  Would doing a System Restore to before the Windows Update possibly fix this, at least temporarily?  Or is there somewhere we can manually download and install an older version of the audio drivers?  Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I figured it out, found the solution on another post in the forums.  For the record, here's the solution that worked for me:

What I did was to go the original website of Realtek, here :
http://www.realtek.com/
Choose downloads > High definition audo codecs (checkmark) > and choose the 64 bit driver at the top of the list.

I went into Device Manager, uninstalled/deleted all of the audio drivers there and then installed the one I had downloaded directly from Realtek.  The installer made me reboot and once the laptop came back up, sound was working again.  Voilà!

HP Recommended

Hi Riddler,

Tried the outlined steps but did not work. After choose to update from Windows update center, it reinstalled Real Tek Hi defination audio. Like David mentioned in this message, everything seems to be in working order but still no sound. I tried changing the device to Windows Hi defination audio and the audio was restored for some time but as soon as the sytem was restared the audio was lost again.

@ David: The system restore works but it is tedious and a temperory solution as Windows update overides it anyway and you are back to square one. 

I have a scheduled video conference tonight so will be doing a system restore anyway. But, I am highly disappointed that the issue does not have a permanent solution from HP. Never had such issues with Dell machine that I owned before this one whic I purchased just 2-3 month ago.

Amol.

HP Recommended

@Amol, try the last steps I outlined in my message - downloading the drivers directly from Realtek.  I had previously tried downloading the audio drivers from HP's support page for the laptop and that didn't work.  Downloading and installing the package directly from Realtek fixed it.

HP Recommended

Hi David,

Was trying the steps mentioned by you. But, after selecting the 64x driver, I entered the email address then clicked the link in the email to download the driver. However, after entering the captcha nothing gets downloaded. I just see the Realtek screen which says to close the window as download wis starting.

So I am again stuck!

I suspect the firewall or antivirus is blocking the .exe download.

HP Recommended

@Amol - Huh, that's weird.  I'm sure there's somewhere you can download it other than Realtek if that site is giving you problems.

Give that a shot.

HP Recommended

Solved finally! 

Since I could not download the file from Realtek site, I downloaded an earlier version of the driver i.e 2.79 instead of 2.82 from  Cnet. I uninstalled the audio device with the previous drivers from device manager > Sound video game controller and installed the 2.79V driver. The audio is back, Whew!

Thanks @ David and @Riddler for your support.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

David, 

Yessss that's right.. I'd been looking for a solution for my hp cw0001la for almost 6 months... And Voilá!! The driver downloaded from Realtek worked perfectly. 

Thanks a lot. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.